Etching of IP2 side plates

jman

Etching of IP2 side plates

Post by jman »

The workshop manual calls for Ronstrip to use as the etchant. I cannot find any, does anyone know if it still available? If it is unavailable is there any other product I can use? I have access to sodium hydroxide does any one know what strength is necessary?
kanonkopdrinker

Re: Etching of IP2 side plates

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

jman wrote:The workshop manual calls for Ronstrip to use as the etchant. I cannot find any, does anyone know if it still available? If it is unavailable is there any other product I can use? I have access to sodium hydroxide does any one know what strength is necessary?
If you go the route of molybdenum inserts... you need not worry about etching the side plates! [/quote]
graham

ronstrip replacement

Post by graham »

There are good technical reasons not to moly coat air cooled engines.This evening, I had a quick word with a man who knows, The factory used caustic soda to etch the endplates. No stronger than 20 to 1 possibly weaker - and don't breathe the fumes! Should take about 90 seconds to etch. Then wash off with clean water.
Derek Nicol

Re: ronstrip replacement

Post by Derek Nicol »

graham wrote:There are good technical reasons not to moly coat air cooled engines.
Really? didnt know that! why is that then? (a not too technical explanation please :? )
graham

moly coating air cooled engines

Post by graham »

Cast ally and moybdenum have a different expansion rate - ally expands more if i remember rightly.Air cooled engines run very hot in normal use. The different rate of expansion can cause radial cracks in the moly. Though to be fair this usually only happens after the engine has failed !Also Air cooled endplates are a different alloy to W/C which makes air cooled ones more durable (higher Silicon content I think). Hope someone who knows more or has time to look it up can say more.I still prefer a moly coated motor though - air or W/CGraham
Derek Nicol

Re: moly coating air cooled engines

Post by Derek Nicol »

graham wrote:Air cooled endplates are a different alloy to W/C which makes air cooled ones more durable (higher Silicon content I think). I still prefer a moly coated motor though - air or W/C. Graham
Thanks, interesting, a 'technical' you shouldnt, not a 'dont whatever you do' The standard durability difference would explain why Malcolm Stanley says that the police had loads of trouble with the water cooled engines smearing where the air cooled ones hadnt previously given much trouble.
Malc

End plate etching

Post by Malc »

It is debatable whether air cooled engines need etching. If some of the police bike engines were only very slightly scored and did not need a regrind, I would press out the stationary gear and 'lap' the engine plate with grinding paste on a piece of plate glass. This often removed what was left of the etching. On higher mileage engines a lot of the etching was polished off by the side seals anyway. I know the race bikes were not etched so decided to rebuild one engine without etching after being reground. This engine has only done a couple of thousand miles since but with no trouble.Malc
jman

Post by jman »

Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts and ideas re the etching of the side plates, they are now good and etched!