OOPS! alternator wires ?

Dave

OOPS! alternator wires ?

Post by Dave »

Further to my previous post, my aternator block connecter wires had burnt through, (3 yellow wires, in plastic connecter, left hand side, ) so i stripped them back and put new lengths of wire in, however during the work, marks i had put on the wires to identify which connected to which came off, is there an easy way of identifying the right way to reconnect them?, i have put them back together using guesswork, and the batterys appear to be charging ok, would this mean i have struck lucky and put them back right? or not, thanks dave
Richard Negus

Re: OOPS! alternator wires ?

Post by Richard Negus »

Dave,Not important - they're a/c wires so connect any to any and it will work normally.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks Richard, appears to be charging better, but keep my eye on it for a bit, and change the regulater if it still overcharges, thanks again for your help,much appreciated, dave
FloridaMike

Post by FloridaMike »

No oops here, it doesn't matter . . .The wires are all the same color (yellow in this instance) because there is no reason to have to tell them apart. This is a three phase stator, probably delta wound (or could be wye, again, no real difference) and as long as each wire is connected to a diode pair in the rectifier you are absolutely good to go. You can mix them up all day long and it makes not one infinitesimal bit of difference. You don't need to lose ANY sleep over this one!Back at the dawn of recorded history (yes, I do know that us cuzzins on the other side of the pond have a different scale of time than yours in Fair Albion) I earned my daily crusts teaching motorcycle electrics. Wrote a book about it, too. It is now a bit dated since it doesn't cover on-board command computers, ABS and EFI, but if your motorcycle is a REAL motorcycle with wires that have magic smoke in them (either English or metric), ping me OFF-LIST for details.Best Regards,FloridaMike
andy588tt

Post by andy588tt »

Hi DaveI had the same problem on my F1. I cut off the offending connector and soldered new longer leads with heat shrink. The wires are all the same. If I need to pull of the Generator I can hock the cover out of the wayMy problem was my 25 watts solder Iron was not heating up the joints completely, My Father used to have a elecrtic shop and he had a 100w Iron which did the job nicely wink .Ride SafeAndy wink
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!