Racing parts?

Interpol2471

Racing parts?

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi I have a question for the racing experts among you, does anyone recognise the part number 69-0502 for a gearbox casing? The standard number is 69-0503 from the Norton parts catalogue and also the 0502 number did not show up on the NML last parts list I have. This part number casing was meant to have been used on an early Rotary racer I have been told and it is definately different from the standard casing I have on my IP2. The chap in question who owned this case also raced a 7R and a Manx so I am sure it may have been an early race part but I am sure some one will recognise the number. Thanks in advance Paul
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Richard Negus

Re: Racing parts?

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Paul,Sorry to disappoint, but 69-0502 is the part number of the raw casting, before machining; 69-0503 is the part number of the finished, machined, part.I presume you are referring to the case on e-Bay ?This really is a standard case, maybe with damage/wear in the stand pivot area (difficult to tell from the photo).The reference to 'GP' stamped on it might refer to the builder of the gearbox sub-assembly, Glenn Prentice, perhaps, but certainly has nothing to do with racing.If I remember correctly, the ones modified for race bikes had the chain gaiter spouts cut off so they would fit in the Spondon frame.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Thanks Richard I thought as much and yes this was reference the case on eBay as I was speaking to the chap selling in case he had some more parts but he does not. He told me he sold it to a chap in France who sent it back as it was incorrect to fit his IP2 so he asked me the question.Cheers Paul
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

The parts the chap was selling came from 'Ibelieve that the parts lot originally came fromDoncaster or surroundingarea in South Yorkshire'. Anyone know of the origins of these parts or someone who owned a Rotary Racer and a Manx and 7R from that region?
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

The gearcase 69-0503 is common to all IP2, Classic, and Commanders ; there is only one, so "he sent it back because it was incorrect to fit his IP2" sounds a bit more like a translation/interpretation problem.More likely it was sent back because it was damaged; stripped thread at the drain, or cracked at the cover plate M8 tapped holes, or stripped thread at the torque rod bolt, are the usual culprits.South Yorkshire Police had a lot of IP2s and Commanders, mostly based at Sheffield.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Richard is correct about the G.P on the gearbox case, this stood for the Gearbox builder, in this case (no pun intended) Mr Glen Prentice. Bob