FUEL CAT T2 TANK UNIT

TRL

FUEL CAT T2 TANK UNIT

Post by TRL »

Has anyone tried one of these?advertized on Ebay for Norton Commander, Fuel Stabilizer&Unleaded Conversion.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Norton-Commander- ... 2a03160938It claims, amongst other things, Better fuel economy. Saving between 8-16% on averageIs it too good to be true?
Dell Boy

Re: FUEL CAT T2 TANK UNIT

Post by Dell Boy »

YES, these have been around for years, have been tested by learned scientists for I believe the Federation of Historic Motor Vehicles & found to give no advantage. Surely if it worked every vehicle sold would be fitted with them? "If it`s too good to be true it usually isn`t" Derek.
TRL

Post by TRL »

Dell Boy wrote:YES, these have been .... found to give no advantage. Surely if it worked every vehicle sold would be fitted with them? "If it`s too good to be true it usually isn`t" Derek.
I thought that might be the case, so how do these people make these claims?Surely they are open to action under the trades description Act or some such legislation.But Thanks for the advice. I won't be asking for one in my stocking from Santa. wink
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

TRL I know the Army did do a test of cylinder head / Valve seat wear with these on the T140's they were using and found that the valve seats using unleaded wore faster than those using the cat. I know this is true as one of my Vehicle mechanic mates while I was in the Army (REME) took part in the test so I use one on all of my old Triumphs as the cost is so much smaller than a new set of valve seats IF it does work. Whether or not it does to a massive extent is anyones guess but it gives me peace of mind what ever smiley I have never measured anything or checked since the engine builds but all is fine up to now and I run my Daytona with high compression pistons and it runs fine on Tesco's finest unleaded wink
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

I run all my old bikes on the cheapest unleaded I can obtain & have never even had to re-cut or even grind in any valves. I have never used any form of lead replacement or octane boosting device. Again when scientifically tested by the F.H.B.V. only one additive on the market actually worked. I do a lot of miles on my old Nortons & Triumph probably a lot more than the White Helmets did on there display bikes. In 12,000 miles I haven`t needed to adjust the tappets on my 50 year old Norton Dominator & that has included riding to Austria & back over the high passes. I was riding in incredible heat, heavily loaded, up a very,very steep pass when the R.H. piston crown collapsed & cracked. On stripping it down the valve gear was spot on, combustion chamber a good colour but both piston crowns had collapsed. The pistons were Italian made G.P.M. Hepolite pistons have cast in under the crown a substantial reinforceing/cooling ring which the italian pistons don`t have. This, I believe, in the extreme conditions I was riding in was the reason the pistons failed. I did fill up at one garage in Austria with a very cheap Benzine fuel & the bike didn`t like that stuff. I also used a 100 octane unleaded fuel sold at the pumps as Shell Racing Fuel which the motor did like a lot but it was 6 or 7 cents a litre more. I have always felt that there was terrible scaremongering in the old bike world that it would be a disaster ruunning on plain unleaded petrol with the original valve seats & combustion ratios & some people did well providing services & products that were frankly unnecessary. Let`s face it most "Classic" motorcycles only do up to 3,000 miles a year unfortunately. So no additives, just ride & enjoy!! Derek.