oil outside the engine!

johnbirchjar

oil outside the engine!

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys, I'm a tad worried,putting the fairing back on the Classic today I noticed quite a bit of oil on the air filter and coil cover, I had a good look around the engine and can't see where i'ts coming from,could the oil be from the air filters?i'ts not that long ago that I fitted new filters,and perhaps I "dressed"them with to much oil, but would'nt the exess oil be sucked into the engine? I think this may be one for you Richard, and back to the headlight bulbs thingy, I've fitted a pair of +90% 55/60w,s and will report back in due course.
johnbirchjar

Re: oil outside the engine!

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,I've been out for a night time run to see how good the new bulbs performed, not 90% better, that's for sure! about 50% I would think, just about worth the £20-00 they cost me. Talking to fellow bikers on Saturday about the oil problem and a couple of them seemed to think that I had most likely "dressed" the filters with to much oil.Hope so.Regards J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

quote="johnbirchjar"I fitted new filters,and perhaps I "dressed"them with to much oil, but would'nt the exess oil be sucked into the engine? Hi John,Been there, done that ! The first one I did many years ago dribbled for months and stained the engine.You only need a small amount of oil (no more than a teaspoonful) spread over a flat tray and press the filter into the oil, both sides of both pieces. It doesn't look enough, but it's only there to catch dust - which we don't get much of in this country. The plastic foam stops bigger things such as grit and wasps.Rgds,R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks Richard,you confirmed what I had (hopefully)suspected.Regards J.B.