W2000 lack of compression

Mick Taylor

W2000 lack of compression

Post by Mick Taylor »

Hi all, I'm hoping someone out there with DKW or perhaps Norton (I'm told the rotary element is near identical) knowledge may be able to help with my lack of compression problem. I have an early DKW W2000 with just 5,400m on the clock in quite reasonable condition. The downside is the last owner left it in his garage untouched for 30 years, and when I bought it, it was seized. I sprayed duck oil down the inlet port, left it for a week and then rocked it back and forth in gear, it came unstuck very easily and I had high hopes of little or no damage. Unfortunately it felt as if it had no compression although I had nothing to compare it to. I now have a battery in it, strong spark, clean carb, fresh fuel etc but it just spins on the starter. I looked at the apex seals through the exhaust port, they are all bright and clean and all had 'spring' and were free moving...so I don't think they are the problem . In an attempt to develop compression I poured some silkolene 2 stroke oil into the inlet in small doses until it was liberally spread. I suddenly had compression, very little to be honest but a lot more than before.When spun on the starter on full choke it tried to fire, smoked a hell of a lot (understandably) but never ran unaided or actually started. As the oil dissipated so did the compression and it became lifeless again.I would like to avoid stripping the motor if at all possible; I'm guessing it has to be the side seals, does anyone have any experience of a similar situation and or any suggestions that may get the motor running....or failing that a decent spare motor?Mick Taylor.
Dell Boy

Re: W2000 lack of compression

Post by Dell Boy »

Hallo Mick, Rotaries have negligible compression. Fill the chamber with heavier oil, I use 20/50 to build compression & see if that works. Put 4 or 5 squirts from an oil can in the plug hole but warn your neighbours to take there washing in & not to call the Fire Service `cos it will smoke, boy will it smoke. This ploy will start a completely knackered Norton. Derek.
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

Thanks for that, I have a can of 20/50 GTX for the RE5, so I'll give that a go....my nearest neighbours are 400yds away and regularly have very smokey bonfires so no worries about smoke. One question though, will getting it running be likely to allow it to develop some compression presumably by freeing the side seals, it can't be wear through use with such low mileage so I'm assuming it must be corrosion.....and would one stuck side seal be all that is needed to destroy the compression for all three faces?Mick Taylor.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Hello Mick, Once the engine is running things do improve. Whether only one stuck seal will prevent it starting I doubt. I am sure if you get it running the seals will free off. Make sure there is plenty of oil though. Nortons reccomended squirting Redex in the chamber to free stuck seals. I was never convinced it made any difference. A damned good thrashing sorts out all the ills on my Nortons. Derek.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Ro80 owners also swear by Redex which, they say, has carbon softening properties. Expect some smoke though! DC