Commander oil leak

gripper

Commander oil leak

Post by gripper »

I have an oil leak on my Commander from the area above the throttle spring attachment point on the centre plate. There is a drain screw above this small bracket but I presume that is the water jacket drain. I'm reluctant to wedge my head under a running engine. The engine deposits a couple of drops after being run, then must continue to leak as there is a 1.5 inch dia (37mm) puddle after being unused for a week. Any Ideas?
Interpol2471

Re: Commander oil leak

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi if this is clean oil it may be a good idea to check the oil feed pipes for cracking or the frame drain pipe as this can drop oil in this area. The plug you talk about is the centre plate drain plug as you suspected.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I had better clarify my last statement I think the drain plug you talk about is the drain plug that Graham W. uses as the oil drain from the centre plate MOD not a water jacket drain as you think so it may be loose but I am an air cooled man so who knows red face Still check your oil feed hoses though as my frame drain dripped in this area when it split.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
gripper

Post by gripper »

Looks like the problem is solved. The drain is the culprit with the copper washer not being nipped down to form a seal. A steel washer to press the copper one down onto the casing and a smear of wellseal seems to have done the trick. smiley