Well Nuts

Interpol2471

Well Nuts

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi all. As you will see in the Gallery my new fairing is ready to be built and put on the bike but I am still wondering what fittings to use. I have now just bought a load of well nuts to try as I believe these may be the best answer as they are easily changed and should be strong enough for the fairings needs. These are the type used by Ducati and are made of rubber with a threaded insert, what does anyone think or has anyoned used these fittings before and can comment on their strength. Thanks chaps and come on Richard you are lagging behind wink
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Richard Negus

Re: Well Nuts

Post by Richard Negus »

Interpol2471 wrote:These are the type used by Ducati and are made of rubber with a threaded insert, what does anyone think or has anyoned used these fittings before and can comment on their strength.
I wouldn't use them for anything important ; ok for a small screen or similar,but the rubber creeps if over-tightened and loosens. If you re-tighten, then eventually the brass insert detaches from the rubber and it falls apart. With the benefit of hindsight, using them on the F1 hugger was a poor decision.Avdels are more secure, but only use alloy ones in plastic parts ; steel Avdels have a much higher setting load and may crack grp.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I agree with Richard re: fixing your fairing,I used Avedales and put countersunk washers under the heads that made for a nice finnish.J.B.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Well thank you for that advice, I now have 100 of each of the 5mm and 6mm alluminium fixings as they were so cheap to buy. If anyone wants some for their own fairing let me know as I have a few spare now red face
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....