oil

steve traynor

oil

Post by steve traynor »

why are we advised to use comp 2 premix as opposed to injector oil when the engines are supplied by a pump?
Interpol2471

Re: oil

Post by Interpol2471 »

The characteristics of the pre-mix oil are very similar to that of Rotella 40 simply. If you check the Silkolene web site all will become very clear. There is another post on this forum that goes into depth about previous tests done on the oil by aviation users and also by the Police which is also very useful. I am sure someone will be able to point you on the right direction, but I will say I find the Comp 2 oil excellent and also the club now holds stock at a good price.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

steve traynor wrote:why are we advised to use comp 2 premix as opposed to injector oil when the engines are supplied by a pump?
Hi Steve,I was always lead to believe that 'injector' oils had a % of dilutant to allow them to flow more easily under gravity from tank to pump on two-strokes. This dilutant vaporised at a lower temperature than the oil when inside the engine.Norton oil tanks are heated, either by the plenum (IP2, Classic & Commander) or by hot air over the engine (F1's) and they do need all the lubrication possible without too much smoke.Prehaps someone should ask Fuchs / Silkolene for the actual difference between Premix and Injector ?R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,Appart from the fact that Silkolene smells nicer than Rotella and smokes less? are there any other reasons to justify paying fortunes more for the Silk:? J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys, Ignore the previous question,Richard has answered it,apart from "is it worth the extra cost"? J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

johnbirchjar wrote:"is it worth the extra cost"?.
I don't do a lot of miles on my Commander (only 3,400 since March) and intend keeping it until unable to ride it any more. It rolled off the side stand recently and I had to have help picking it up again so it may morph into a naked bike in a few years' time.But, having had a full rebuild, including moly conversion, I'm not about to stint on the oil for the sake of a difference of a penny per mile.If I was doing a lot more miles, then the answer would be different and I'd possibly be using Ursatex 40 (which my local Texaco distributor has 20 litre cans in stock) or Morris's HDX40 which is also available locally in 5 litre cans.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!