Seized chain adjuster

andygbsmith

Seized chain adjuster

Post by andygbsmith »

When I got around to fitting my new tyres I discovered that the drive side chain adjuster was seized solid, and I do mean solid.It required half a day and making a puller to move it so be warned. I assume it's because the chain hardly ever needs adjustment so in future I will pull them everytime I need a new tyre.andy
Malc

Re: Seized chain adjuster

Post by Malc »

Found this out when I first started having to replace chain gaiters ( lowers to start with) on the 'Y' and 'A' reg bikes at about 35,000 miles.Consequently, all others had chain adjusters removed, swinging arm cleaned and de-burred and chain lube sprayed inside.The adjusters were then greased and refitted. This made life easier as higher mileages were reached and chain gaiters were replaced. (Dont need to adjust chains when tyres replaced) Also made life easier when bad batch of replacement chain gaiters were fitted as they would all fail, both top and bottom at about 16,000 miles. None ever reached 24,000 miles so as they could be replaced at next major service. Now, many are cleaned and filled with silicon over the holes to make them last longer.Also used to paint mark the rivet link in the chain to make it easy to recognize the next time ready for splitting again.Malc