erratic running

johnbirchjar

erratic running

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi gang, On the way to the N.O.C. rally in Austria a couple of weeks back, charging through France I had a bit of a problem with the Classic, begane running very erraticly,popping and banging, and refusing to rev over 2,500,(but fine on tickover) changing the plugs made no differance,pulling off a plug lead resulted in pops and bangs on one pot,same same on the other,I managed to get off the French autobaun and find a hotel ( with the help of a French biker driving a pickup truck)and as it was about 20-00hrs by then I decided that I would investigate further in the morning.In the morning the old girl fired up and ran as sweet as a nut!! after about 100+ miles(after filling up) the same symptoms occured( but still fine on tickover) then after about 10 miles all was fine again!! and the old girl was fine for the rest of the journey,chasing about in Austria,(comming off in Austria!hence the request for a footrest hanger) and back again to good old Blighty,then last Saturday on the way to the gas station it happened again,but only for about a mile,and now all seems well again(inshala) Water in the petrol? the Boya acting up? any sugestions are welcome.Safe rotoring. Regards J.B.
Interpol2471

Re: erratic running

Post by Interpol2471 »

Are you running the retard box still connected under the seat? I had a retard box as a tester that caused some rather strange running problems when fitted, I confirmed this by connecting the ignition up as per Grahams instructions on the Startrights website that disconnected the retard box. I also had idle issues as well so I may well be wrong but I am sure Richard will be along soon to put me to shame as usual red face
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Interpol2471 wrote:I am sure Richard will be along soon to put me to shame as usual red face
Hi Ralph,Wouldn't dream of it, m'dear! Classics are Boyer ignition. (where's the smug.smiley icon?)Hi John,Your problem sounds a bit fuel-related ; have a look at the vacuum pipe between engine and fuel tap. The rubber end moulding may be perished and leaking, sometimes allowing the tap to switch off.Another possibility is that the ignition trigger is beginning to fail ; only worthwhile check is to substitute a known good one.Sorry, gotta go, tide to catch at Maldon this afternoon!R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Richard Negus wrote:
Interpol2471 wrote:I am sure Richard will be along soon to put me to shame as usual red face
Hi Ralph,Wouldn't dream of it, m'dear! Classics are Boyer ignition. (where's the smug icon?)R.
Who is Ralph LOL I'm Paul OK NEGUS wink and I knew you would be putting me right anyways red face
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Hello Richard, I said the same to John face to face last night re: fuel diaphragm. Good to know I follow the same train of thought as the Guru. On one of my Commanders one fixing screw to the ignition trigger fell out & the trigger bounced about on the flywheel until halve of it had worn away & the bike still ran!! Boyers couldn`t believe that it still worked when I showed it to them. Derek.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,Thanks for your replies,one of the first things I looked at was the vac pipe,it seemed fine,after my face to face with Dell Boy I checked the tap fuel filter,very little residue,and I dont think the the diafram is the problem because I turned the tap to "prime" when the engine was running rough and it made no diferance,the next step must be the trigger switch, anybody got a spare one that I can borrow for a while? Regards J.B.
MrB

Post by MrB »

One small offering, I had similar trouble with a Tiger 90 many years ago. It would run fine for miles but then splutter to a halt or run erratically. Leave it to rest for a while and on it would go for a few more miles then the problems would start again at some point but with no particular pattern. Turned out to be a near-to-blocked filler cap vent.Johnny.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Yes, back in the late 80`s I drilled a breather hole in the fuel cap on my Interpol 2. I cannot recall if it cured the problem or not. Derek.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Interpol2471 wrote:Who is Ralph LOL I'm Paul OK NEGUS and I knew you would be putting me right anyways
red face red face red face Public apology to PAUL ! Completely unintentional, can't imagine what I was thinking of !R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

No Problem Richard I will just mark it up in my to do list discount on your services Very Happy and I do know what you were thinking about .... tide times wink
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,thanks for all your replies,I also had a problem with a blocked vent hole on the fill cap, mine was on a Honda 400/4, so I've tried that. The problem has occured twice more since my last posting(is that what this is called?) and the incidents were getting closer to gether,(twice within 50 miles) so being 95% sure that the problem is electricle I have sent off for a new ign: trigger(after checking the air gap and looking for loose wires ect:all seem fine)I also phoned Boyers "help line", who were no help! Recieved a usefull tip from "Malc." When pulling a plug lead off and running the engine,allways connect up another plug and earth it out, don't just leave the plug lead dangling,evedently it can bugger up the ign:system,(Malc was a lot more technical)I hav'nt had any luck sorcing a hanger plate,so as time is running out I have had to "bite the bullet"and buy a new one from NML(upon reflection,their price is quite resonable when compared with what one would pay if the bike were a "rice burner or a hog")hopefully, that and the ign: trigger will arrive today so that I can put the bike back together again(fingers crossed, problem solved)in time for the Beezumph. I will report in due corse.Safe riding.regards J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,the ign:trigger arrived on Tuesday and was duly fitted,but I could only run the bike stationary because the damaged o/side footrest hanger was off and the bike ready to have the new one fitted when it arrived from NML.which it did on Wednesday,after fitting I took the bike for a test run of about five, it ran fine,good I thought, but just as a precation I will take a brand new improved Startright ignition system that I had purchased about eight years ago from Graham that I had'nt needed to use. Next morning I set off for Cadwell Park and the Beezumph rally,got as far as Chelmsford (about 15 miles)when the old problem reared its ugly head again,(not the ign:trigger then) then just like before, after about a mile all was fine again,and so it went on until about 30miles from Cadwell I discovered that if I used the indicators the bike came back on full song!!very odd, on arriving at the camp site and relating the story to the guys when one sugested that the problem sounded like a bad earth,could be. Next day blasting round the track and the problem returned,back to the camp site,and clean all the terminals that I could get at,back out on the track,same problem,get the new ign:system which is supposed to plug directly into the origanal Boyer connectors, but life is never that easy,but it was near enough,and with a little ingenuity of our own the old girl was soon blasting round the track in fine stile.I had an uneventful ride back, but had other problems at Cadwell,but thats another story!!safe rotoring,regards J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys, have done quite a few miles now on the new ig;n system and all seems fine,so guys if your rotary begines to "four stroke" it may well be the ig;n system. Safe rotoring, J.B.