IP2/Classic temperature gauge

Ageing Rotarian

IP2/Classic temperature gauge

Post by Ageing Rotarian »

Hi Gents, does anyone have a spare VDO 310876/1/1 temp gauge as the one on my Classic replica is playing up (sometimes reads 0 and then 100 degrees ish and then nothing for miles)? I have exchanged it for one from my Classic and it seems to give a steady reading albeit a bit high considering the engine has just been rebuilt.
Thanks in advance
Regards
Roy
johnbirchjar

Re: IP2/Classic temperature gauge

Post by johnbirchjar »

According to how many miles you re-conditioned engine in you Classic has done,it will probably run a bit hot until it loosens up a bit(couple of hundred miles should do it)at least,thats the experience I have had,and I should think Graham in Leeds would have the Temp Gauge you are looking for,J.B.
Ageing Rotarian

Thanks for that John. Done a few hundred miles now so thought it would be showing signs of settling down but will keep an eye on it.
Mentioned the gauge to Graham last time I spoke to him, but he didn’t say he had one so not so sure he is has one available. You never know one might turn up on eBay etc.
draxdave

Post by draxdave »

I have a box full of bits, I will have a dig round and let you know !!
draxdave

Post by draxdave »

Hi Roy, the gauge I have is marked 310 274/1/46, 12V, 3.88.

PM your address and I will pop it in the post for you to try. Buy me a pint next time !!
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ageing Rotarian

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply and the offer.
I have contacted Andover Norton to no avail and they suggested a Koso product which is a digital gauge with it’s sensor sitting under the plug (not sure how that would effect the running or if you could connect to it ok), but obviously it would look pretty much out of place on a Classic. I have also emailed VDO to see if they do an equivalent as on a German web site who was advertising one of the gauges mentioned that the gauge was compatible with a Porsche, so you never know they may be something else out there.
As always the board is a constant source of information and support which is a great help in your hour of need.
Best regards
Roy
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Roy,
Isn't the sender for the temp; gauge under the spark plug on the Classic (or am I getting a bit confused red face)J.B.
Ageing Rotarian

Hi John, the sensor for for temperature gauge screws into a drilling above the left hand spark plug. I believe the Koso sensor is actually located under the spark plug, which I if I,m right raises the height of the plug and could effect sealing but maybe I’ve got the wrong end of the stick.
All the best
Roy
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I really am surprised Graham hasn't got one lying about,(considering the amount of IP-2s that have passed through his hands over the last 40 odd years)J.B.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I think I have found a couple
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Ageing Rotarian

Hi, many thanks for looking for the temp gauge and good news that you have managed to unearth not one but two of them.
I have tried to send a personal message but it seems to be stuck in the outbox for some reason and won’t shift!! If you can advise what you would like for them then I will sort out suitable renumeration.
Thanks again
Best regards
Roy