Going to a rally

bill

Going to a rally

Post by bill »

Hi l am going to ride to a rally in Germany later this year from Portugal, Can anybody advise me please as to how much oil l will need to take for the run 2280 km ( 1392 m ) each way .
and taking some spare .
Thanks

Bill
johnbirchjar

Re: Going to a rally

Post by johnbirchjar »

Depends on what machine you are on,air coold's use quite a bit more than their water cooled counterparts,(and if memory serves my Classic regularly used a pint every 300 miles,)doubtless a Commander rider will tell you how much his/her bike uses,ride safe,J.B.
rustynuts

Post by rustynuts »

It also depends on the terrain. I did a trip with lots of mountain routes. Miles of low gears and high revs drank the oil much quicker than I expected and I had to fill up with some locally bought oil.
tim harrison

Post by tim harrison »

I usually get around 800 km per litre when two up and fully loaded. Two lites with you should be sufficient. When doing a similar journey I realised in France that I wasn't going to make it so topped up early with a litre of 30 SAE lawnmower oil with no ill effect.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Oil tank capacity is 4.0 litres say 3.5 useable, for that amount I would get close to 3000 miles. I also carry a litre spare where the LH second battery used to be and another litre in the LH cubby hole.

Hope this helps.
bill

Post by bill »

Hi Anthony thanks for your reply l have not been on a long run before where l needed to take spare oil .. The Commander is a great touring bike ..
Thanks again for your very useful info.
Bill
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Tim,
Seems like your old Commander used about the same oil consumption as my old Classic,admitedly I was never "fully loaded two up" just "fully loaded solo" on many occasions.
Hope you and the memsahib are well and hope to see you soon when the weather breaks to try and get your Commander running,ride safe,J.B.