Straping commander to trailer

trevair

Straping commander to trailer

Post by trevair »

Hi all
Fixings deem very rare where to strap a commander to a bike trailer any ideas as the bars are inside the fairing etc
I know rear has bars by panniers but its up from
Trev
johnbirchjar

Re: Straping commander to trailer

Post by johnbirchjar »

On the rear of the bike,thread the strap(or rope)where the shock absorber is bolted to the swinging arm.just above the spindle, and on the front where the front discs are anchored to the front suspension.
I have transported numerous bikes over the years and always used these anchor points,people argue that the bike moves about on its suspension,Thats what the bikes suspension is for!!! but the tyres stay firmly attached to the trailer.
Way back in the past when I was a HGV(1) driver, and over the years I transported just about anything that ran on wheels,and the ropes(no ratchet straps back when I first drove trucks,but the same system applies with straps)anchor the vehicle round the tyres and let the body move about on it's suspension,just a tip from my experience,J.B.
trevair

Post by trevair »

thanks john dont dispute what your saying but 9" up seems very little for the weight of the bike
trev
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Depends on how robust your anchor points and straps are.
Anchor it well and then see if you can move it by heaving on the topmost part of the bike,it will bounce up and down but side to side?nadda,oh and don't forget to strap the bottom of the front wheel if you don't have a bike trailer,(they tend to "creep" askew if you don't,)another little tip, obviously the bike will be on it's side stand and Commander's the tend to lean a bit more than Classics & IP2's,so put some wood under the side stand so the bike is more upright(less strain on said side stand, I found 3/4" ply ideal for my Classic)not a problem with trailer with a wood floor,but a bit of ingenuity may be required if the trailer floor is metal wink,hope this helps,J.B.
trevair

Post by trevair »

hi john i get you but mine is a ladder style trailer like most which is a bike trailer not a flatbed trailer
trev
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Ok,so the front tyre dos'nt have to be anchored down 'cos on a bike trailer the front wheel has it's own cradle,and if memory serves Ladder Trailers have a multitude of anchor points cool .
Having never had to transport a Commander on a trailer I am now "clutching at straws" a bit,the front isn't a problem, so as suggestion for the rear,anyway to use the rear footrests anchor points?and isnt there a "Lifting handle" on the N/S to assist putting the bike on the centre stand?The downside to either of these anchor points is you are fighting the suspension(something I ALLWAYS try to avoid.)but that's just me.
Let me know how you get on,good luck,ride safe,J.B.
trevair

Post by trevair »

Hi john i can strap the bsck down easy but its the front puting the straps high without rubbing the paintwork or even crushing it
Trev
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I allways put the straps round where the front brakes are anchored to the front forks are,if you have managed to anchor the rear of the bike ,the front is dead easy.(don't make the mistake of anchoring way up where the handlebars are)happy trailering,J.B.