Water cooling

johnbirchjar

Water cooling

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,I have this theory that I would like to run pass you.
If a water pump was too powerful, would the water pass-through the Rad; to quickly for the said Rad; to do it's job? smiley,J.B.
Assen

Re: Water cooling

Post by Assen »

Hi John,
My humble thoughts...
I think a waterpump is a flow-pump and not a pressure-pump. I think the size of the radiator dictates how fast the water passes through.
This size is calculated by the manufacturer.
If you could increase the pressure of the pump, i don't think the water passes quicker?

Regards, Jannes
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

Hello John, somewhere, previously, I have read that the water must not flow too fast through the cooling fins as said fins do not have time to absorb the heat from the water. I intended to fit a thermostat with a bigger through-way in my Citroen DS ( the seventies one ),believing more must be better.. It seems not . I think that also applies to the volume a pump can shift.
My son is into old flat head Ford V8's and it is common for hot rodders to remove a couple of pump blades to reduce flow. (they have two pumps, one for each bank )

There seems to be some truth in it .

I reckon the main thing is to ensure there is good air flow across the rad, with good escape path for the hot air.

Regards, Terry.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Assen,you have a point,but what in the case of a "Special" when the Rad has been manufactured(or taken) from a different vehicle/engine? I suppose it's a case of "Trial and Error" wink,J.B.