none return valve

johnbirchjar

none return valve

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,nothing to do with our rotories smiley
Can anyone tell me if there is a "None return valve"twix Fuel tank and filter on a VW Bora(diesel)I have no fuel getting as far as the filter on my car,The w/s/manual gives no information?
Having had a "surf" the information seems to indicate that some models of VW seem to fit a "none return valve" and some don't,but no specifics evil.
I tried using a mini compressor(the sort that one carries in the boot of one's car in case of a slow puncture wink)to try and clear the blockage,but turned it off at 100psi,(thinking that any piece of crud must surely be blown out at that sort of pressure!)any info will be greatly appreciated.rgds,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Re: none return valve

Post by johnbirchjar »

Telling some of my biker buddies of my probs with the Bora,a couple of them suggested that it is probably the USB thats at fault,I will have to get a "Mobile Mechanic" to check it with his "Diagnostic"I will report anon,J.B.
tim harrison

Post by tim harrison »

Hi JB, Do you mean the ECU? This controls electronically, amongst many other things, the flow of fuel into the injectors. It is possible that if it is not working properly it may stop the flow altogether. On the other hand if you run out of Diesel its not like the old days- fill up, tickle the carb and away you go, with modern systems it is usually necessary to find a way of 'sucking' the fuel through to get rid of air locks and prime the pump. If you had a blockage, even if now cleared, you would have to go through this rigmarole. AA patrolmen are well used to doing this for obvious reasons.
Tim
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Yep Tim,ECU/ECM? anyway, had a mechanic round with his "Diagnostic"which diagnosed quite a few problems(including the ECU evil )anyway,along with the younger man was an old boy(his dad)who used a egg-shaped diafram(which acted like bellows) with plastic tubes at either end to bled the fuel pipes to and from the pump and the filter(I have never seen this bit of kit used to bleed a diesel system before)I commented on this and his answer was" That although modern pumps were supposed to be"Self bleeding" they often needed a bit of help wink" As time moved on and nothing seemed to work he said"Hang on,this looks like a dodgy connection"fiddle,fiddle,"Now try it"cough cough,"broom,broom" Very Happy, (Comment from the son)"Well that didn't show up on the Diagnostic"exclaim
So in the end all it was was air in the system and a dodgy connection,(the "Diagnostic" failed miserably and evidently they are not the answer to all engine gremlins smiley )ride safe,J.B.
PS,Will tax the Classic/Commander on the 1st of March,be good to get out on the old girl again after the winter lay up,Hope to see some of you guys at rallies and meets, Very Happy,ride safe,J.B.