rotation

johnbirchjar

rotation

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,engine rotation, clock or anti-clock when out of the frame for long periods?J.B.
johnbirchjar

Re: rotation

Post by johnbirchjar »

Come on guys exclaim,I'm sure one of you must have had an engine out of the frame and had turn it over to spread the oil around wink,J.B.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

OK, JB, I'll take a shot...

Since the Apex Seals always run Unidirectional you should rotate the engine in that same direction that the Rotor spins when the engine is running.

"Information is believed to be accurate but not warranted."

"Do I get partial credit? A Certificate of Participation?"

Best,

Charlie
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

John,

I see what you mean.

I turn my engine in both directions, why? because if you oil the rotors via the spark plug holes and turn it in its normal direction some the oil drops directly into the exhausts, so I also turn the engine in the opposite direction so that the oil get carried around the engine before reaching the exhausts.

Hopes this makes sense

BTW I also put a little oil down the air inlets

And finally when looking at the flywheel the normal direction of rotation is CCW

Tony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Charlie,I have no idea which direction the engine turns when running red face.hence the question.J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks Tony,(I guess it must be OK to turn the engine both ways?)How often have you done this?J.B.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

johnbirchjar wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:21 am Charlie,I have no idea which direction the engine turns when running red face.hence the question.J.B.
Point to Intake Port. Move finger around Housing, the long way 'til you get to the Exhaust Port. That's the direction the rotor spins.

Charlie
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

John,

I oil and turn the engine every 3 to 4 weeks

Tony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Once a month exclaim,wow, I bet the old girl really smokes when you eventually fire her up cool(especially if the engine has been out of the frame for about a year wink)J.B.