Woodruff Key

johnbirchjar

Woodruff Key

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,I spent over two hours this afternoon trying to get the Primary Chain Sprocket back on,(that b****y Woodruff Key is an absolute pain in the a**s,)anyone got any tips on how to keep the p**y thing in place while getting the Sprocket fitted on the Shaft?(it doesn't help having to fit the Sprocket and the Clutch assembly together)a very frustrated J.B.
Joe

Re: Woodruff Key

Post by Joe »

Hello JB,
I’ve done this job a few times now and the key has always been a tight fit in it’s groove so never presented a problem. Are you saying it’s loose, if so I would suggest there is a problem? Turn the eccentric shaft so the key way is at the top this should help to keep it in place.
Good luck, Joe.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

John,
If the key is loose, smack the radiused edge with a hammer (gently) to deform it so that it's tight in the groove.
Keyway anywhere between 9 and 12 o'clock makes it easier to watch on assembly.
Patience is a virtue!
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks guys,I have a bit of a busy week ahead,culminating this weekend in my last rally for this year up in the wilds of Matlock,(Nth Derbyshire)so I will experiment with your suggestions next week.
On a different note,the new Gear Box Oil Seal(Primary Chain side) that I purchased from A/N is a tad different from the old one,insomuch as the wire coil that runs around inside of said oil seal is visible on the new one but not on the old,so what way round does the oil seal fit?wire coil facing into the G/Box? or out.rgds,J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

John,
The spring always faces the more oily side, in this case towards the mainshaft bearing.
Your original seal would have had a spring, perhaps it became dislodged and lost when removing the seal from the gearbox plate.
R.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for clearing that up for me Richard.
The oil seal that I removed was "sealed" on both faces,(so perhaps it didn't matter what way it went in?)rgds,J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

There are two popular types of oil seal, known as R21 and R23.
R21 is the standard type of seal, single sealing lip with a garter spring on the inner oily side.
R23 is an option that has the sealing lip as above and also has a second wiper lip on the other dry, or outer, side.
The purpose of the second lip is to protect the working lip from dust, etc., that might cause wear or damage to the sealing lip.
R.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Having had a closer look I can now confirm that the old seal is the R21 type,(now minus the garter spring wink)J.B.