Gasket or not?

Mick Taylor

Gasket or not?

Post by Mick Taylor » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi all, I took my Classic out for a 30 mile spin to the pub and back last night and it is running like a watch, super smooth and responsive, it would be near perfect if the forks didn't chatter evil ......but that's an incurable issue as I understand it and not the subject of this post.

One of the alloy air transfer ports leaks a small amount of thin oily brown fluid....it always has done.
20181014_140059_resized (720x1280).jpg
I can find no mention of a gasket in the parts book......nor on the AN exploded diagrams.

I'd like to fix this leak on an otherwise dry engine......I have a pair of O rings to hand, what is the sealing arrangement where the leak is?

Mick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard Negus

Re: Gasket or not?

Post by Richard Negus » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:50 pm

There's never been a gasket there, so your sealant of choice.
ThreeBond, aka Yamabond, or RTV silicone works for me.
There's an O-ring where the elbows join to the frame; a smear of RTV there doesn't come amiss.
R.
Slower slower, no faster faster - the joys of old fogey mode to hooligan mode at the flick of a switch

Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:08 am

Thank you Richard, at least I know I can definitely fix it now.......much appreciated Very Happy .

Now....if you could just recommend a fix for the rattling front forks....... cry

Mick.

Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:38 am

Mick Taylor wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:08 am

Now....if you could just recommend a fix for the rattling front forks....... cry

Mick.
Mick,
As a Saab dealer once said to me about a noisy gearbox, "Yes Sir, they all do that"
Doug Hele came up with a fix using shims to reduce movement of the damper piston and reduce the rattle. AN may still have some, 48.0263 Shim .005", although there's a strong chance they'll need cleaning.
R.
Slower slower, no faster faster - the joys of old fogey mode to hooligan mode at the flick of a switch

Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:32 am

Doug Hele came up with a fix using shims to reduce movement of the damper piston and reduce the rattle. AN may still have some, 48.0263 Shim .005", although there's a strong chance they'll need cleaning.
I hadn't heard of that before......you are right, AN do have some in stock so I'll order a few, thank you.... Very Happy .

That's a job for a dark winter day......scented by fork oil, what could possibly go wrong? wink

Mick.