Steel brakes lines for air-cooled IP2/Classic

BlackIP2

Steel brakes lines for air-cooled IP2/Classic

Post by BlackIP2 »

Has anyone fitted braided brake lines to their IP2 or Classic, and if so, where did you get the from?
Having refurbished my IP2's brakes, they are still not as good as I think they should be, so I can only assume the original rubber hoses are now way past their sell-by date. They are 34 years old after all.
Cheers
Mark
Interpol2471

Re: Steel brakes lines for air-cooled IP2/Classic

Post by Interpol2471 »

I may have a set
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Yep, I replaced mine some years ago,sourcing them(made to measure) from a local bike spares supplier( who has unfortunatly "Ceased Trading" evil) but (if memory serves) at the time I didn't notice any discernable improvement in the braking smiley,but it was quite a few years (12/15?) back,rgds,J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

I agree the standard IP2/Classic set-up is a bit 'wooden'. After fitting braided hoses and various brake pads with little effect, I changed the master cylinder to one with a smaller diameter piston.
The one from a Kawasaki KLX500 is a very nice one, and gave squealy-tyre braking.
Both Brembo and Yamaha master cylinders have 5/8" pistons; the Nissin is 14 mm and gives a 30% increase in line pressure for the same squeeze.
It also has a clicky-adjustable lever reach. Fleabay is your friend!
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

Thanks Richard, that's a good tip and worth pursuing. I cured the same problem with a Commando I had years ago by having the master cylinder rebored.
Interpol2471 - if you could PM me please with the details of your set of braided lines I'll get back to you.
Cheers
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Yes I have a set
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....