speedo cable for a motometer Speedo and a veglia head

Robert14

speedo cable for a motometer Speedo and a veglia head

Post by Robert14 »

Hello,

need a new speedo cable for my Classic.
Speedometer = Motometer
Veglia head on the other side

does anyone have one to sell or know where I couldt get one?

Best Regards
Robert
Mick Taylor

Re: speedo cable for a motometer Speedo and a veglia head

Post by Mick Taylor »

If all else fails, try Venhill, it's possible they made the original anyway, some of the cables on my Classic show the Venhill trade mark and to the best of my knowledge they are all original to the bike.

Mick.
Robert14

Post by Robert14 »

Thank`s!
The answer from Venhill:

Have you checked our website under part finder all our bikes ect listed there. If not listed then we don’t do it.
But you could always send in the original and we could copy the pattern for you?
Georgia White
Sales Administrator
kettle738

Post by kettle738 »

I suspect they will already have the pattern....but archives if they exist might be more trouble than they are willing to go to......but I guess it's pretty good that they will make a copy.

Can you please update how you get on if you use Venhill as it's pretty relevant to all of us at some stage.

Mick.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Is it' just the speedo cable? I'm sure I bought the speedo wheel gear drive and cable(long story wink)from Graham or A/N(but this was about 10/12 years ago,)I will check my records and report back,J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

I've found that Yamaha cables have the same thread at each end and the square on the inner cable matches too. An industry standard perhaps?
I probably used the Commander cable, Yamaha part 2GH.83550.00, which was originally that from a 1987 FZR1000.
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

I've found that Yamaha cables have the same thread at each end and the square on the inner cable matches too. An industry standard perhaps?
I probably used the Commander cable, Yamaha part 2GH.83550.00, which was originally that from a 1987 FZR1000.
R.
This is the sort of thing it's priceless to know......chasing your tail desperately trying to find an unobtainable part..........only to find something readily available is a perfect substitute exclaim .

The Nortons did use a lot of bought in parts from all sorts of manufacturers, but where the parts can't be bought any longer it would be very valuable to have a list of alternatives that will fit. What else do you know of Richard?

Mick.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I expect the list is endless Very Happy,J.B.
kettle738

Post by kettle738 »

Maybe but it would be hugely useful when searching for a part as it's sometimes far from obvious......I would be very keen on a list of substitute parts...
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

Speaking of parts, the guy at RJ Motorcycles (where I found a NOS Classic choke cable by chance) came back to say this when I asked if he had any other rotary parts.
Hi, nothing much left now but I did find a cog for the belt drive and an advance retard unit, thats all at the moment, thanks, robert
Neither of which mean anything to me, (belt drive?) but someone might recognise them.

Continuing with the parts theme though......any suggestions for readily available parts that can be substituted for unobtainium on our rotaries?

Mick.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I think he may have got confused between the CommanDER & CommanDO(He is not the first wink)J.B.
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

I think he may have got confused between the CommanDER & CommanDO(He is not the first wink)J.B.
That seems the most logical explanation......but their site shows a huge stock of regular (piston engined) Norton parts......I'm confused; and that's not the first time exclaim

It does make me wonder what else might be gathering dust on shelves in old Brit bike shops......

Mick.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Is it me!? On Monday someone (Mick?)asked for a list of "possible spares" from other bikes,I answered telling him about the REAR brake light mechanism from a KTM being the same as the FRONT brake light mechanism for IP2's & Classic's smiley,but both posts seem to have disappeared from the forum evil,Gremlins?J.B.
kettle738

Post by kettle738 »

Thanks John...

That is precisely the sort of thing I was talking about, running a vehicle with parts that are NLA can be a bit daunting so anything that makes life easier in that respect is brilliant......many thanks.

Mick.
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

I think this is one of the KTM brake switch threads: thrapp/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=709&p=3784&h ... itch#p3784
And RGM stock surface discharge spark plugs: http://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/champion ... m_1784.htm
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Further to the above,I had a look through my records for the part No,unfortunately the receipt had faded with age(it was way back in 2011 smiley)and is eligible,so hopefully KTM fit the same switch to all their models cool,ride safe,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Oh,and I bought the speedo cable from N/M at Rugely way back in 08,J.B