Rad Caps

johnbirchjar

Rad Caps

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Guys,What is the "Bar" rating on the Commander Rad Caps?and doe's anyone know the formula for calculating the "Bar" pressure required for a cooling system?J.B.
johnbirchjar

Re: Rad Caps

Post by johnbirchjar »

Come on guys exclaim,some one must have an old Commander Rad Cap lying about in their Workshop/Garage?or just go out to the bike and have a look(unless it's an absolute pig to get at evil)J.B.
Dave

Post by Dave »

i went and looked at mine the day you posted, but mine has no markings on at all, would A/N know ?. Dave
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

Mine's an air cooled, but looking at the Commander's riders handbook, it says the rad cap is 1.1 Bar.

Her's the extract:
Cooling system: Forced circulation with thermostat
control and by-pass system for
reduced warm-up time. Electric fan
for circulation of ducted coollng air.
50150 GlycollWater
Opening temperature 85°C
Operating pressure 1 .l Bar
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

I don't think it's too critical. The Commander yellow plastic cap is 1.1 bar, the F1 original metal is stamped 1.0 bar.
The higher the pressure, the higher the temperature at which the system will boil - and the more likely it is to be incontinent.
Your boiling problem might be that the cap isn't actually sealing in the neck of the radiator. Check that the inside of the neck is clean and that the seal washer is pressed onto the rib at the bottom of the neck.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks guys,I haven't got a problem,just checking to see if the rad cap fitted by the Rad manufacture for my purpose built Rad has the correct setting,it reads zero point nine (0.9)which,me thinks, is near enough to 1.1 as to not make much difference(about 5psi?)
Iv'e taken the old girl for a couple of shakedown runs and the temp is constant at 98,creeping to 100/102 if I get a bit of a shift on(80+ wink)I know it's a bit higher than Commanders usually run but seeing as pressurized systems are good for 110/120 I'm hoping it will be ok.The real test will be when the weather gets a bit warmer.I will report anon,ride safe,J.B.
re5rotary

Post by re5rotary »

Can anyone tell me what vehicle the Commander cap is from? I would like to buy a new one if I can regards Terry
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

The cap is a GM part, taken from a 1988 Vauxhaul 1.8 Cavalier - which was what I was driving at the time.
Seems like only yesterday, going for that first drive in a NEW car!"
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Would that be a 'Holden' in your part of the world, Terry?

David
re5rotary

Post by re5rotary »

Im pretty sure we never got those out here as a Holden or Vauxhall but at least I know what to look for now thank you regards Terry