arcing coils

johnbirchjar

arcing coils

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,guess who Very Happy,
This project (putting a Commander engine in the Classic's frame)is turning into one of those"It seemed like a good idea at the time" things,anyway, the latest problem is the Coils arcing out between the HT lead entry point and the Positive & Negative leads,Iv'e fitted new HT leads, Plug Cover and HT lead Coil cover,(This is occurring on both Coils evil )I am now beginning to think that this is unlikely to be a coil problem 'cos the odds of both coils shorting out at the same time are pretty long,so all suggestions are welcome,rgds,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Re: arcing coils

Post by johnbirchjar »

The saga continues,
A couple of biker buddies suggested that a bad earth at the engine may be the problem,so I ran another earth (using jumper leads)from the battery earth to convenient "lug" about 3 inches from the N/Side plug,well this seemed to cure the arking prob on the O/Side,but the status quo continues on the N/Side,so the problem continues,I have one or two ideas to try,I will report anon,feel free to offer suggestions wink,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Re: arcing coils

Post by johnbirchjar »

Panic over,nowt wrong with coils Very Happy,spoke to Julian(of MINIMAG fame)and he suggested the plugs may be the problem(after I explained that I was running "Naked Plugs"'cos I didn't have room twix the rad fan and water jacket for suppressor caps to come on or off evil)so after fiting Resistor Plugs the bike runs a whole heap better,just needs the carbs re-tuning,(they are off the Classic)I will report anon,ride safe,J.B.