coolant

steve traynor

coolant

Post by steve traynor »

hi has anybody tried Evans waterless coolant any reports would be good it would seem ideal for rotaries ,for me to try anybody know how much coolant in litres and normal running temp for f1 please
johnbirchjar

Re: coolant

Post by johnbirchjar »

Funny you should ask that Steve,'cos I need to know how much antifreeze is required for a Commander?(never heard of a "Waterless Coolant wink)J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

John,

The following is taken directly from the Commander owners manual:

Cooling system TYPE:

Forced circulation with thermostat
control and by-pass system for
reduced warm-up time. Electric fan
for circulation of ducted cooling air.

COOLANT: 50/50 Glycol Water

THERMOSTAT: Opening temperature 85°C

FILLER CAP: Operating pressure 1.1 Bar

Tony
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

Not sure about waterless, but it may be the new type of coolant for modern cars, which is orange. You must not put orange in older vehicles, only the glycol, original blue stuff, as mentioned above.
Regards, Terry.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello JB,
From memory I think it's 5 1/2 litres of coolant for the standard Commander with 50% antifreeze. Your not using a standard radiator so it will be a different quantity.
Love the idea of waterless coolant, I've been thinking about usuing it since seeing it on TV's Car SOS or something similar a few years ago. It boils at a much higher temperature but can't be mixed with water. You have to completely drain the system and ensure all of the water has gone, not a problem though with your new project.
Regards, Joe.
Zed

Post by Zed »

I have been using Evans for a few months now. I can report no ill effects other than the cost (a flush is required before its use). My logic for the use of this, over normal water glycol was two fold:
1) significantly higher boiling temperature (local nucleonic boiling can occur at well before the dial indicates over 100 deg C that causes internal damage to the engine as coolant passage erosion occurs resulting in a higher likelihood of boiling)
2)as a protective measure for the limited number of sidewalls currently available.
The issue with Evans is that it is simply 100% glycol with some additives. So the thermal capacity is lower than that of water/glycol. Makes for faster engine warmup and for normal road use, it is fine, but I would not use this for racing (although many do).
Post use engine teardowns indicate a very clean engine for coolant passages, so this is a plus. Remember the system is supposed to be sealed after filling with Evans. So it should provide a maintenance free solution. This is how the cost could be justified, but it would take many years to justify on this basis. If you have to do work on the coolant system it would be best to capture the coolant and refill.
The main day-to-day benefit for me is faster warn-up as I find these engines don't like to be cold and can misbehave prior to warm-up.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for the info guys,I think I will stick with the Anti-freeze &Water,(I'll just mix up a batch of 50/50 and just "Pour it in" Very Happy)J.B.