gaskets

johnbirchjar

gaskets

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,Any tips on how to keep the Exhaust Manifold Gaskets in place while positioning said Manifold?A very frustrated J.B. evil
BlackIP2

Re: gaskets

Post by BlackIP2 »

I recently replaced the 2 into 1 race exhaust that came with my IP2 with the standard set-up. Yes it was very fiddly to try and get the gasket, inner sleeve and Allen bolts in place whilst fighting gravity, so in the end I used copper grease to hold the gaskets in place and it worked. Now I see why in all the pics of rotary engines sitting at Shenstone waiting to be fitted show the manifold already in place!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I have had the manifold off the Classic more than once over the last twenty odd years and have not had a problem smiley,but the Commander engine evil(which is what I am working on at the moment)most frustrating,but I have been giving it some serious thought and I think I may have a solution wink,I will report anon,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Well that didn't work exclaim.I tried putting a couple of studs each side hoping to use them as a guide and hang the gaskets on them,did'nt work 'cos I have had some welding done on the manifold and as usual it had distorted evil,so I did what I have done in the past with the Classic,cut the Ballance Pipe in half,sawed another 1/2 inch off one side and used a bit of stainless pipe that was a "snug fit" to join them together and fitted the manifold one side at a time,this time the studs worked Very Happy.
I think that in the workshop manual in VERY BOLD PRINT should be "IF THE ENGINE IS OUT OF THE FRAME,FIT THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD BEFORE PUTTING THE ENGINE BACK IN THE FRAME exclaim exclaim.It would make life so much simpler wink.J.B.