oil feed elbows

fogrider

oil feed elbows

Post by fogrider »

Out for a blast on my F1 sport, she starts holding back slightly . I ease off and pull into a bikers café for a tea whilst she cools down. Oil appears on the floor under the R/H side.Panel off, one of the elbows on the rotor supply pipes had split in two. A bodge with gaffa tape got me home at more legal speeds and no obvious damage, but the dread of wiped seals and chambers still persists.
So change your elbows, mine looked and felt good/soft supple,but at 26 years old, change them soon.
Regards, Terry.
wust588

Re: oil feed elbows

Post by wust588 »

Terry,
Good idea to change them.
Let us know where you source some from, I could do with a few.
John.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,did I not hear that someone did away with the plastic and replaced it with copper tube?
Thinking about it, how about the metal bit of the brake pipe?I wonder if the thread is the same where the oil feed goes into the chamber?and is the bore big enough?when I get the Classic's engine back from Paul I have some of the brake pipe in the w/shop and I will check it out and report back,Just a thought,J.B.
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

Looking at the feed pipes , with a fair bit of dismantling it would be possible to replace the metal pipes into the housing with a new set, longer and with an easy 90 degree bend to the rear. Two short bits of straight flexible would join it all up. Much better all round.
I can't find any new elbows, so for now, some clear PVC with 3/16" bore joins the metal to the plastic just right, better than the elbows and the oil is visible as a bonus.
Will do the metal pipes with a bend eventually.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

An absolute pig of a job with the engine still in the frame evil ,virtually impossible to get a spanner in there(anyone know of an open ended ratchet? wink )but a "Must Do"if the engine ever has to come out,it is on my "To Do" list cool,J.B.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi all

I thought the plastic elbows were no longer obtainable for the f1 engine, is this still the case

Regards Wayne
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

I assume they are standard Yamaha items, one of their 2 stroke bikes, but which one ?
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

If its the elbows I am thinking about 'black plastic 90 degree' i just took these out and fabricated new pipes with silicon joiners. Worked perfectly for me.
Correct these are now unobtainable or thats what I found.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....