charging sat nav bats

johnbirchjar

charging sat nav bats

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,can I charge my satnav by just wiring it direct to my Classic battery?or does it have to go through a converter(like the one that plugs into the cigaret lighter in my car?)J.B.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: charging sat nav bats

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Well mine on my RE5 is wired straight to the bike's battery, John.

As it was on the IP2.

I would guess the Classic is the same?

David
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

John,

My TOM TOM came with a USB lead so I fitted a USB adaptor, the downside with the one I purchased off E Bay is that it has a blue back light, which distracted me when riding at night, the solution was to cover the face of the adaptor with black tape.

If your satnav is set up for 12 volts then it will be OK connected to the battery, if it has a USB lead then you know what to do

Good luck
Tony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks guys,I have two USB's, one that plugs into the car cigarette lighter,and one that I converted by wiring on a couple of "ring connectors" so I can connect them to the bike battery cool,ride safe,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Guys,An update on the above,DON'T DO IT exclaim,My sat nav got fried evil,evidently the adapter from the cigarette lighter converts the 12v to 5.4 volts, thus avoiding frying the Sat Nav system,you have been warned wink,ride safe,J.B.