airhead thermocouple wiring

nednortonrider

airhead thermocouple wiring

Post by nednortonrider »

Hi , Anyone know how to wire the thermocouple gauge and sender into the electrics ??? I've been re-wiring my café racer ( ex-RAF Interpol )All electrics working but I cannot work out the thermocouple / gauge wiring .Cheers ,Ned .
BlackIP2

Re: airhead thermocouple wiring

Post by BlackIP2 »

As far as I know the temperature gauge is totally independent from the electrics and should work just off the two wires coming out from the probe? When I got my IP2 last year the gauge wasn't working either so I looked for an ignition feed problem, but in the end it was just the connectors needing cleaning up and it works fine now. It's something to do with the way the gauge only works off a very low micro-volt feed from the probe? If I'm wrong no doubt someone will post the correct version!
nednortonrider

Post by nednortonrider »

Cheers , That's what the wiring diagram seems to indicate !! Works by itself !!! Witchcraft !!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Not quite,checking the Temp Gauge and Thurmo Coupling on the Classic after putting the engine back in the frame(T/Coup: in hot water wink)Temp Gauge didn't work until the Ignition was turned on exclaim,most strange,'cos it never required the Ign:to be turned on before,(unless it required Ign on 'cos it wasn't earthed as is when screwed into the Cylinder Head red face)J.B.
nednortonrider

Post by nednortonrider »

It seems the earlier post regarding the fact that the thermocouple gauge is wired directly to the sender is correct .All cleaver stuff !! (witchcraft ).Two dis similar metals ,the sender ,when heated produce a micro voltage which moves the gauge .I guess a solar panel works in a similar way ????