Classic on the road.

Dale

Classic on the road.

Post by Dale »

Now have done 400 miles on my recently acquired Classic, and I'm very pleased with it. Had a few issues to sort out before getting it roadworthy. First I took the SUs off, finding the floats, main jets, and needle/seats destroyed due to fuel deterioration after a long storage time, all parts promptly supplied by Burlen. Tap was inoperative, but dismantled it and got it working nicely, then frustration with flooding caused by "silt" in the tank. Got that sorted out, then fitted an inline filter in the fuel line - the plastic one on the tap was completely disintegrated. The oil pump inner cable was frayed and holding the pump wide open - - talk about smoke ! ! It now runs very well,with a couple of minor hiccups. The idle won' t always come down low enough, more of an annoyance than a serious problem. Also when the engine cools off a bit, the butterflies stick noticeably. Giving some thought to adapting some form of throttle stop, but will be tricky. I have a plan. but ---- . Watch this space.
Quick question. I personally detest "smiles" but seem unable to turn them off - any thoughts ?
Cheers, Dale.
johnbirchjar

Re: Classic on the road.

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Dale,My Classic has always "lagged" a bit cumming down to tick-over,I've tried no end of things(including pushing the throttle shut by hand wink,)all to no avail,so I think it may be something to do with the Dampers being slow to settle the last couple of mill,and as to the "Sticking Butterflies",I tried 4 return springs!!(just made the throttle bl***y stiff ) evil,even after a complete engine rebuild with the Throttle Spindles and all "bits" renewed they again started to stick after a few thousand miles,so I have learnt to live with it,If you manage to find a cure,please spread the word Very Happy,enjoy your Classic,ride safe,J.B.
wust588

Post by wust588 »

Is your bike still fitted with the Boyer ignition system? If so I think your problem is more to do with Boyer ignition tickover
"hang-up" than anything else. Norton had so much trouble with selecting a suitable retard v advance setup, and
I don't think ever really got the Boyer to work reliably, and arrive at a happy balance between advance and retard
in conjunction with either thermocouple or thermal switch v engine temp.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Nope,junked the Boyer system years ago when it no longer worked(lasted about 10,000 miles if memory serves)changed over to a system provided by Graham,(manufactured by MiniMag,)made no difference,good reliable system though,so keep looking for a cure"And the world will beat a path to your Door" wink (well IP2 &Classic owners Very Happy)ride safe,J.B.