Surface discharge spark plugs

BlackIP2

Surface discharge spark plugs

Post by BlackIP2 »

My IP2 is running a bit rough. I have replaced the race exhaust with a nice quiet standard pair of pipes, which makes for a more pleasant ride but it is not as smooth as I expected a rotary to be. Actually it wasn’t all that brilliant with the race exhaust, when it only went well under a hard throttle. It feels like the carbs need resetting but I’m starting with the plugs. It’s currently got NGK CR9 iridium plugs which look a bit worse for wear, but I was a bit surprised when I took them out as they are normal plugs, not the surface discharge type, which seem to be no longer available.

However, whilst trawling through the internet I came across some Champion surface discharge plugs from RGM Motors. The rotary workshop manual specifies Champion UG80PV or UG501PV. RGM’s are listed as RG501V race plugs and I’ve asked them if they would fit the rotary but they cannot say if they would.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the RGM plugs would be OK, or should I stick with ‘normal’ plugs and get some new NGKs?

Here’s a link to the RGM plugs:
http://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/champion ... m_1784.htm

Cheers
Mark
johnbirchjar

Re: Surface discharge spark plugs

Post by johnbirchjar »

I replaced the plugs on my Classic with NGK C8E's and for the last 60 odd thousand miles have found them to be a good all-round plug,ride safe,J.B.