carbon removal

johnbirchjar

carbon removal

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,I have copious amounts of carbon to remove from the innards of the Classic's engine evil, Is their a "wonder chemicle" that I can purchase to make a pig of a job a bit less tedious?Sugestions so far have been,Petrol and Parrafin mix,Cellulose Thinners,Costic Soda.I await your input,J.B.
wust588

Re: carbon removal

Post by wust588 »

John,There is no easy way to remove the carbon build up other than lots of elbow grease. It always is a long, filthy, ball aching job.As far as the rotors go though, you could try leaving them submerged in a reasonably strong caustic soda solution.First thing is to remove the bearings by taking out the circlip from the non-gear side. That way you don't damage the gears.Of course, if you decide to use new circlips (which is generally a good idea) - remove all of them. The circlips are a pig to remove and replace, even with good quality circlip pliers.Scrape off as much loose carbon as possible first. Leave in for as many days as it takes for the carbon to come off.When the rotors are back on dry land, pay attention to the side seal grooves, corner pin holes and apex seal grooves. Look also at the insides of the rotor cooling grooves for carbon build up.As far as the housings go, it's a long bench job.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

We used turco to decarbon its brilliant stuff, it also removes paint of the object.Its put into a steel barh with a film of water on top to stop the turco evaporating. Parts are placed in over night are done in the morning.We used in most on hydrovane compressor parts which can be coverd in chlack.Down side it lasts a few years providing you give the partsa blast with a pressure wash toget general dirt of leaving the turco to deal with carbon. It cost as mutch to dispose of old turco as it dose new.Regards wayne.Ps the stuff i used was pre 2000 it maynot be as strong now due to modern h and s
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for that Wayn,At the moment I am using Oven Cleaner on the Rotors wink it's doing quite a good job smiley,have to try and get the Stationary Gears and other "bits" from out of the End and Centre Plates 'cos the old Oven Cleaner is a bit to fierce to use with them "in sittue"I will keep you posted.rgds,J.B.
rustynuts

Post by rustynuts »

Submerge all the non-ally bits in a caustic soda solution for a few days; that's what RN told me to do. The carbon then becomes soft and wire brushes off easily.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

At the moment I have everything soaking in a 50/50 mix of Truck Wash solution and H2O(as recommended by R.N.)I will keep you all posted,J.B.