norton in GP`s ?

Steve Gee

norton in GP`s ?

Post by Steve Gee »

Inlet and Exhaust valves must be of conventional type (reciprocating poppet valves). Variable valve timing or variable valve lift systems are not permitted lifted the above from the regulations for the new GP2 600 class as posted on MCN website, does this rule out a rotary or do they count as not having any valves at all ? hope somebody has a bit better technical knowledge than me.
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Re: norton in GP`s ?

Post by Derek Nicol »

Steve Gee wrote:Inlet and Exhaust valves must be of conventional type (reciprocating poppet valves). Variable valve timing or variable valve lift systems are not permittedlifted the above from the regulations for the new GP2 600 class as posted on MCN website, does this rule out a rotary or do they count as not having any valves at all ? hope somebody has a bit better technical knowledge than me.
The wording could easily be modified if they wanted to let a rotary in but i have my doubts that they would ever allow a 588 in as a 588. Also for some strange reason the phrases 'run before you can walk' and 'biting off more than you can chew' spring to mind, im a little sceptical about them going into GP. I just hope they can make a success of getting the factory up and running in these troubled times. My initial hope is that we will see the Dreer Commando in production. As for the rotary?... i dunno!... time will tell. Just having a rotary back in top level British racing is more than we could have hoped for a couple of years ago... I wish them well.
ZFD

Post by ZFD »

"Norton will return to motorcycle racing with a rotary to beat all the other rotaries out there!" Comment from an Aussie forum, I hear.
Peterpinkbike

Makes me blush

Post by Peterpinkbike »

I hear that Norton are lobbying the FIM for a new class in MotoGP for their latest product. Have a look at http://www.squiffles.co.uk. :shock:
Steve Gee

Post by Steve Gee »

If the FIM allow this into MOTO GP`s I can see all the other manufacturers throwing their teddies out of the pram ! Oh, and a Merry Christmas to you all.
Malc

Post by Malc »

Do you think that will make them go quicker than the Norton prams?
Malc

Post by Malc »

If the rules for the 600 GP class are as stated on MCN website then it will just be another version of Superesport 600. If after the in-fighting of preferences by manufacturers, teams, sponsors,TV copanies and DORNA, there could be a purely prototype class, then why not at least try to get the Norton classified as the 600 that it is. Aprilia and KTM have said they wont build a new 600 so there could be an opening, if only a small one. Norton should aim high, if they dont get in, there was no harm in trying.The press will probably build up expectations only to knock it down if it cant happen.A similar thing could happen with the return to the TT. I presume at the bike will have to be classified as a 1000 cc twin again. This means competing against bikes with up to 40 BHP more power. A fairytale Hislop type win would be nice but a top ten finish would be more realistic. There is no multi-million pound R and D behind this project, it is about 2 people putting their expertise and previous knowledge against the very tough competition and wanting a level playing field. Piston engines have had 15 years more development since the Norton last won races. The other thing that money wont buy is time, and that is what is needed to develop and test ideas.I gather the project for 2009 is to compete at the TT and possibly just a very few selected other events while further development continues along with pressure to get the rules changed to class the bike as the 600 it is.
ZFD

Post by ZFD »

I think there are several points to keep in mind- we are not only talking about 50bhp more in the 1000cc class, we are talking fully sorted, fully proven race bikes against a prototype that is practically untested and based on 15 year old technology (though updated in some respects). This year, against predictions, rotaries did not compete bar one abortive outing of a bike belonging to the NMM; the Thunderbike series that was to be contested wasn't.If this lack of track time continues into the next season there seems little point in entering the TT. The more so as the last entry was a win, and a glorious one too, so anything but will be very much an anticlimax, and will do no good whatsoever to the myth of the unbeatable rotary Norton.I say leave it at that 1992 swansong and forget the TT in 2009- or, at least, prove that the bike is competitive first and only then enter the TT, say in 2010 or 2011. That will perhaps provide less copy for MCN, but do no end of good for the Norton name. If you want to hear the famous roar, buy a pram!