Carbon

johnbirchjar

Carbon

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,I need to pick the brains of the more knowlegable amongst you,the engine on the Classic is making a sort of "swishy,scraping noise" eminating from the n/side from behind the alternator.there is also very little compression,so little infact that I could turn the engine over by hand using the alternator flywheel,When the engine is cold the noise isn't so bad but when warm the noises are quite alarming cry.I had the bike "Carol Nashed" home on Sunday.Fearing the worst(a scored end plate) I removed the air transfer port expecting to see specks & flaks of aluminium but no,just carbon deposites,LOTS OF IT!! and very black evil,almost as bad as before I had the engine rebuilt,(57,000+)how can this be?the engine has hardly done any miles since the rebuild(about 5,000)and it seems to be very oily in there,any ideas?a very worried J.B.
Ageing Rotarian

Re: Carbon

Post by Ageing Rotarian »

Hi John, haven't any thoughts on your problem just glad to see you got back safe from the Norfolk rally. Hopefully shouldn't be too serious due to the relative recent rebuild.All the best Roy
mcmarvellous

Post by mcmarvellous »

Hello JB, I am not the finest home mechanic about, but a lot of carbon would indicate too rich a mixture/oil? I was looking to make sure i have spare plugs for the run on Friday to Dorset and got to looking on the NOC site. It made mention of Air cooled and watercooled motors running at different temperatures, sound logical to me, but yours is aircooled I believe.http://www.nortonownersclub.org/support ... r-nortonsI know you must have seen it!My Rev counter was all over the place on Saturday as I got caught in another torrential downpour, as I got to 4000 revs. I couldn't try it much after this as the roads on the way home are covered in stones and sand, so steady does it. It ran fine all the way home, but the revs rose and fell so much that I thought the rear was spinning up, but the weather was so bad, wind and rain that I was concentrating on that at the time.I shall run it out somewhere tonight and check it in case. The Commando is ready to go !What route are you thinking of Friday? As I am going it would be nice to go with others.Mike (Grey Commander, Black Commando, Handsome silver haired fellow in case you can't picture me haha Very Happy
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Mike,I'm sure the petrol mix is about right,exhausts silencers that nice pale grey colour after a long fast ride,and the oil consumption is the same as it's allways been,about 300 miles to the pint(allthough Tony Page recons 450/500 to the pint)but even if they were both way out it would still not account for the noises emiting from the engine evil.Re;Dorset,those of us that are travelling down on Friday are meeting at Thurrock Services for an EDT of 09-30,hope to see you there,ride safe,J.B.
wust588

Post by wust588 »

John, Sorry to say, it sounds very much like you have a "smeared" left hand end plate.It might be a good idea not to run it any further until an internal check has been made. The LH end plate can beremoved without removing the engine, after pulling the flywheel off first.I hope I'm wrong......Good luck.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for that,I will check the l/hand end plate,(and keep my fingers crossed)Can the end plate be checked using an "Endiscope"? ('cos I know a man who is an expert with these devices)J.B.
wust588

Post by wust588 »

Yes, the end plate(s) can be checked with a endoscope.Conceivably though, there could be damage to any of the plates.Hope you find no damage!