Continuing woes if a poor running interpol

spanner boy

Continuing woes if a poor running interpol

Post by spanner boy »

OK so having fixed the frame insert and the oil drain. The bike has turned from poor hot start to notice start. Further investigation reveals no spark at either plug. Having trawled the forum i have wired the sparkrite box directly to +ve and -ve and finally disconnected the advance box all to no avail. The next point of call seems to be to get the sparkrite box checked, has anybody used the Minimag service for checking these boxes? Or does anyone have another recommendation? We have a commander in the family but understand that the ignition boxes are not interchangeable. The last thing is to check compression but no spark is no spark. Any other advice?Loosing the will:(Paul
johnbirchjar

Re: Continuing woes if a poor running interpol

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi, I have used Minimag twice in the past for the Ign;box on the Classic,brilliant service Very Happy,J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Paul,My limited experience with rotaries involves my Commander, but for what its worth and noting that you have connected the sparkrite box directly to a pos and neg supply could suggest its the box at fault.However on my Commander if the trigger fitted to the flywheel was not connected properly or wrongly adjusted I would guess that I would not get a spark either.Could you problem be associated with the trigger (if fitted)Good luckTony
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Thanks Tony I will add the trigger to the list of questionable items. Tonight I was trawling through the family garage (aka dad's garage) when I found a new sparkrite ignition box all wrapped up! Result. I kind of remember buying this in the early nineties either from the factory when the bike was returned for an engine rebuild or from Netley Marshall auto jumble. Anyhow I just need to ensure that its the correct one and I may be back in business. I'm heading back into the garage tonight (wife permitting ) to give it a try. Keep your fingers crossed.Thanks for the helpPaul
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I have a brand new ignition if you need one
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

I looks like I'm going to need either a new or reconditioned ignition box. MINIMAG charge £60 to test and recondition. If you have a spare box I'm deffinatle you interested. Where are you and how much do you want for it ?ThanksPaul
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hampshire but can get delivered to Stafford show or meet me at Kempton Park?
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Paul,I'm glad to read you are now sorted out with an new ignition box so this is irrelevant but I just wanted to confirm Minimag offer an excellent sevice. I have two Commanders both with Minimag ignitions and they have never let me down. The first box I fitted back in 2001 and have now covered about 140,000 miles with it. This was a prototype and box No. BETA 3. Since then I have asked Julian Kemp to design and build a new ignition system for Van Veen OCR 1000. The bike starts better and runs brilliantly and I now plan to have an ignition system built for my DKW W2000 and perhaps RE5 to replace the awful standard ignition systems. Regards, Joe.
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Thanks for the recommendation for Minimag. My box is on its way there now (I've also been offered a new one which I still might need.) It's important for me to know if this one has a fault as it's part of the diagnosis process for ever increasing poor start. Currently there is no spark on either plug regardless of battery voltage. I've also checked the compression on each cylinder cold and wide open throttle which is currently measuring 5.5 and 6 bar with 3 even pulses on each. From what I can gather this would seem ok. I've checked both the voltage regulator and the advance and retard both of which seem ok. So with luck there is a fault on the ignition which will sort it all out. RegardsPaul
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Update Today finally got the bike back on the road and bar some carb adjustment she's running well so what did I find?1) perished and cracked pipe on the oil scavenge causing air leaks2) air leaks around the transfer port on both sides3) wiring fault on the coil feed earthing the coilsThe rest has been faults that I've found as I serviced the bike. I now know how to test the ignition pick-up and have confirmed that the system is all in good health thanks to Julian at Minimag, a really fantastic service. Thanks all for the help.Paul
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Paul, (Spanner Boy) Brilliant news, glad your back on the road.Joe.