Re wiring an interpol .

nednortonrider

Re wiring an interpol .

Post by nednortonrider »

I am about to start the re-wire on an Interpol I bought last year . I bought it partly dismantled .I've re built it as a café racer and would like to try and keep the wiring as basic as possible .Can anyone help answer a few queries I have .1st up , can I take the temp gauge out of the system or is it linked into the advance/retard of the ignition system . ( why have a temp gauge on an air cooled engine ??? if it gets hot I can't just go to a cooler part of the road !!!. I assume it was an indicator if the bike was being used on convoy duties .)2nd , What is the black plastic box about the size of a fag packet with 5 wires, orange and yellow in a long cable ,then red ,purple, and blue..3rd , What is the blue tube about 5" x1" marked 105-408 ,2000uf ,25VDC .If anyone has done a rewire on an Interpol or has any hints or tips I would be most grateful . Could anyone sketch out a basic wiring diagram ?? .I have a copy of the full police harness but I get a headache just looking at it !!!!!Finally , Happy and safe riding in 2016 . Just booked my ferry crossing for the classic TT .Cheers ,Ned .
mick695

Re: Re wiring an interpol .

Post by mick695 »

Hi NedI'm about to start doing the same on my IP2/Commander bitza......cannot answer your specific questions, but if you're after back to basics wiring take a look at a circuit diagram for a MK3 Commando or T160 Trident.They have a lot of the circuits you will need for starter, charging, lights, indicators, horns etc and with a bit of planning you can add the IP2 specific stuff that you need.I find it best to sit down with a pencil and paper and try and work things out one circuit at a time. Time spent planning where all the stuff is going and how its all wired together will pay dividends later.........I've also junked as much of the old stuff as possible and replaced with new technology components where possible.Vehicle wiring products website have most of the wiring stuff you need, I use their thin wall cable and multi-connectors and added extra fuses and relays where needed.Take your time with it and have fun......I reckon if you sort out the electric, you will probably get rid of 75% of potential breakdowns in the future.CheersMick
mick695

Post by mick695 »

Hi NedJust re-read your post.......the blue tube is a capacitor and is wired between the positive terminal on the battery and earth on the frame. I believe it was used to smooth out the electrics for the Police equipment and should help start the bike in low voltage or non battery situations.......same as the 2MC capacitors on 70's British bikes......you should be able to get rid of it if you don't need it. If you do keep it, make sure you connect it up correctly...they go bang if you don't.........CheersMick
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Why have a temp guage on an air cooled bike?'cos air cooled rotaries run a damn site hotter than any other air cooled engine exclaim,and should one regularly reach temp's of over 180 evil it is an indication that things are not as they should be,and a visit to the bank manager is on the horison cry,seriously though,temp gauges on rotories,especialy air cooled's,are escential,and an early indicator of trouble ahead. good luck with your re-build,ride safe,J.B.
gripper

Post by gripper »

The temperature gauge is separate from the retard system and takes it's signal from a sensor screwed in next to the spark plug (can't remember which side but it doesn't matter) the fag packet box is the retard box and is activated by the thermistor just above the RH inlet tube on the rotor housing (blue wire) Graham used to supply a wiring harness to convert the IP2 and get rid of the police wiring. Saves a lot of work but is a tad short around the headlight area. Easy to pull the plugs out on full RH lock if you're not careful. The two 9 pin plugs behind the speedo are the weakest link