Rear Brake IP2

graham butterworth

Rear Brake IP2

Post by graham butterworth »

HiThe rear brake on my IP2 is not so good. I have replaced the brake disc with a second hand one from Startright renewed the brake fluid and brake pads. But it is still not so goodHas anybody any suggestions on how to improve it. Could it be poor quality pads?
gripper

Re: Rear Brake IP2

Post by gripper »

You need to elevate the calliper to get the bleed nipple to the top when you bleed the system. Also the linkage from pedal to master cylinder is often bone dry. some grease here might improve things. Sintered pads may improve things but they tend to be hard on the disc wear wise.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Graham,Agree with all that gripper suggests, but what type of rear disc do you have?Originals Brembos (and the later Spondon replacements) were a stainless disc with an alloy carrier; in my experience, these work best with genuine Brembo pads.Cast iron discs of various manufacture, including Brembo, have been fitted and used with the Brembo pad; not as effective in my opinion, and rust particles discolour the wheel rim.I don't suppose the pedal touches the silencer heat shield when you apply heavy pressure?R
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
graham butterworth

Hi RichardThe second hand disc I fitted was from Startright Leeds so I assume it is a original Norton fitted disc. The pedal does not hit the heat shield and moves free on the shaft. I do not remember the make of pads I fitted because these came with the bike when I purchased it. Have you any other suggestion I have spoken to a couple of IP2 owners who say this is a problem with a IP2 just like the noisy gear box. Thanks for you advice
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Graham,the brakes on my Classic are the same as on the IP2 and it do's not take a lot of effort to lock up the rear wheel,(no matter who's pads I fit wink) How hard is it to lock up the rear wheel on your bike? J.B.
graham butterworth

Never tried to lock up rear wheel but will try next time I ride it just takes a fair amount of effort to slow it now for X roads etc.Will let u knowGraham
graham butterworth

never tried to lock up the rear wheel it just takes some effort to slow it down for X roads etcWill let know next time I ride it