Norton Rotary's at the classic TT

fogrider

Norton Rotary's at the classic TT

Post by fogrider »

I have just read that the Norton race bikes at the classic TT were using pre-mix oil. So, are non of those bikes fitted with injectors , or, are they injectors and using pre-mix also ?Anyone know ?Regards all, Terry.F1 Sport, actually on the road this summer !
Wayne

Re: Norton Rotary's at the classic TT

Post by Wayne »

The museum are now running classic comp 2 premix, this was implemented just before the parade lap.The oil is used in the oil and petrol tank.Regards wayne
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

Thanks Wayne, so that confirms they are still using the oil injector as well as tank premix. Reason I asked, I have had an e-mail reply from Fuchs that Classic 2T pre-mix is not suitable for oil injector pumps. Too thick an oil. I got a 5 litre for my F1 Sport and another for my son's Yamaha LC's, both of which are autolube injector bikes. After reading the blurb on it , he says it is no good for his LC's. Seems he's right !We figure that the Nortons have an open feed into the eccentric, no restriction, which is why Rotella 40 was OK. Classic 2T is also a 40 (I believe) but the LC's have metered feeds that need thinner oils . eg Comp 2 full synth or Comp 2 +.It says on the Classic 2T premix, " suitable Norton rotaries". A contradiction, but the feeds into the differing cranks/eccentrics seems to be the explanation for the difference. I hope, unless Fuchs think all Norton rotaries are premix bikes.!I would have stayed with Rotella, 3 quid a litre instead of 8 quid for Silkolene, the blue smoke and smell swung it !
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

the museum were not previously, there were running what silcolene recommended but the Roc dose not.Regards wayne
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Terry, were did you read it the museum were now using classic premix, yes they are but I would be interested in reading any article,Regards Wayne
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

Hi Wayne, it wasn't an article, it was what Fuchs pointed out to me when I asked them if Classic 2T premix was suitable for Norton Rotaries, as they were oil injectors and 2T premix is a heavier oil, suitable for tank mix. Injectors use thinner oils as all the modern Jap 2 stroke bikes have metered injector systems. I only queried it as my son runs Yam LC's and when I got him one of the club's 5 litre 2T, he said it was unsuitable ( I had told him 2T was a replacement for Comp 2, that's what I understood from Epitrochoid way back,) I'm waiting for clarification from Fuchs that they understand ROAD going Norton rotary's are injectors, not premix.I'm on the last few drops of Rotella, then it's over to classic 2T for less smoke and a sweet smell ! I'm sure it's OK in our rotaries.
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

I now have clarification from one of Fuch's chemical engineers. (Harold Lim). Although Classic 2T premix is not suitable for injector systems, in general terms, as it is a heavier 40 grade oil, this heavier oil with its' ester blends and ashless additives is more suitable for the apex seals of a rotary engine. So, all is well, despite the contradiction. The weather's gone duff here so not sure if I'll get chance to burn up the last of the Rotella, might squeeze a blast down Caistor High Street if I get chance. Regards, Terry.