left hand rotor oil bias

fogrider

left hand rotor oil bias

Post by fogrider »

Now my F1 Sport is back on the road, I have noticed that, at tickover waiting for traffic lights to go green, it blue smokes for a few seconds on the left side as I set off again. When I bought it, the left exhaust port was well clogged with oily ash. I cleaned that out but 2000 miles later it still shows an excess in the left hand side. When blasting along, it runs clean both exhausts. It ticks over on both rotors quite well, pulls very hard and freely right up to 9000 revs so seems in very good tune, but is it possible the igniter is reducing the spark intensity on the left side at idle?Any suggestions what to check very welcome,Regards, Terry.
Dell Boy

Re: left hand rotor oil bias

Post by Dell Boy »

All my rotaries have smoked a lot more out of one side. Cant remember which side though.Derek.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

My suspicion would be something to do with the side stand and the bike leaning left while stored ... and oil dribbling down somewhere?Unless you use a paddock stand and keep it upright in which case I haven't a clue....DC
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Terry,The plenum chamber has a pipe to scavenge out excess oil to the l/h inlet pipe. This oil is only sucked out when the throttle is opened, hence the smoke when you move off. When the engine is running faster, the oil tends to be carried through the plenum and into both carburettors so you don't notice it.It may be that the oil pump setting is too 'rich'; I suggest you re-check it when the engine is hot.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

Many thanks for the above, I'm going to have a look in the plenum chamber and see if there's something that can be done with the oil pick-up arrangement.I did set the oil pump , cold engine, so there may be some room for fine tuning.Both fuel and oil tanks were full at start time, I am recording miles to see what proportion she is oiling at . I think it is around 1 to 1.5%.I ought to sell it, the way it revs and zooms along is turning me into a lunatic !On the other hand............
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

I sold my F1 after misjudging the exit from a roundabout I new well. I decided I would kill myself on it if I kept it.. It was the way it would pick itself up as the power came in coming out of a bend & launch you into the opposing traffic flow I found disconcerting.If I climbed up the tank & hung off the inside it would mostly go where I wanted to be but I am not a monkey & that is not my style of riding. I have always ridden Featherbeds which have no vices except poor ground clearance and an EGLI that you only have to think where you want to go & it just takes you there. Gotta Laverda 750SF that behaves very well to.Derek.
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

My only transport some 50 years ago was a featherbed dommi 99. As you say , no vice's steering wise, very neutral. The F1's are quite slow steering as the headstock is 27 deg. I've jacked the back some 20mm and dropped the forks about 8mm, it's now 26deg and pushs nicely out of corners. Back to oiling , I now remember that 11 years ago, I fitted a R/H scavenge pipe in the plenum chamber ( to R/H carb inlet) to even out the oil pick-up. Also, when stopped at lights, I always have right foot down, left foot on the peg ready to click first, so the bike is leant right when waiting. I think a closer look at the carbs is needed. Clearly not burning the oil off in the left side, why I don't know. Had a blast around north Lincs on Tuesday with my son following and he says it shows clean both sides. Work in progress , at least it's still fun to ride !
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Fogrider, Both of my Commanders smoke on the left hand side, one has only 70,000 miles whilst the other has nearly 200,000 miles so not surprising that this one smokes a little. I always cover the rear brake when stationary so have my left foot down which may incourage oil to deposit on the L/H side but I never use the side stand, centre stand always for me.Regards, Joe.
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

Hello Joe, no centre stand on the F1 so I expect a bit of L/H smoke when first starting, but it does'nt show any excess smoke that side and both sides clean up fairly quick. It seems it's only when it's hot and idling a while at lights that there is visible smoke on the L/H side. The exhaust outlets are exactly the same colour. Wierd.Oh well, at least she's rideable again.Cheers, Terry.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Fogrider, Very good point, no centre stand. It just goes to show how long it's been since I rode my F1 Sport I'd forgotten the basics. I must dig it out for this summer. I never worry about a little smoke from my exhaust (the bike, not me) it shows plenty of oil is getting around the engine so happy days. Regards, Joe.
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

Hello Joe, that'll be 2 Sports on the road this summer ! Anyone else? Do check the petrol pipes under the tank. Mine were ready to split ( though she has been off the road 10 years) and any fuel that leaks from the under-tank pipes goes straight down to the spark plugs, nasty.Overall, she burns equal each side going by the tailpipes so it's not a major problem, I'm just curious. Going by my adjustment records, the L/H appears to have a weaker setting than the right, so,since the amount of oil delivered is equal each side, it may show a richer oil mix to the left. Maybe. Will check it out soon.Regards, Terry.