F1 fuel valve

Siran

F1 fuel valve

Post by Siran »

Just wondered if someone can tell me what tells the fuel diverter valve when to shut as mine seem to have a signal with the ignition on so it sends to fuel back to tank rather than to the carbs ?
Richard Negus

Re: F1 fuel valve

Post by Richard Negus »

Siran,That's correct.Ignition ON and throttle closed, the fuel will circulate and the pumps 'ticks' continuously. Fuel feed to the carburettors is by gravity onlyIgnition ON and throttle open, the pump feeds direct to the carburettors and with the engine stopped, you should hear it stop 'ticking' after a short while as pressure builds up. Closing the throttle again will start the pump ticking again as fuel circulates.If it continues to tick with the throttle open, then the carbs are flooding or the diverter valve is stuck.The diverter valve is controlled by a microswitch on the carburettors, monitoring throttle position.If the carbs are flooding, new float needles and seats are probably needed.Rgds,R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Siran,Just noticed, joined today and first postWelcome to the Forum!Where are you?Rgds,R.
Siran

Post by Siran »

Thanks for reply,I'm near Lincoln,just bought bike,bin stood for a while fuel smells off so drained carbs,and wondered how they refilled,I stripped off valve and noted if didn't send fuel to carbs with ingition on,so I left wire unplugged,think carbs need stripping,job for this morning ,thanks
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

hi Siranif the fule pump continues to pump on an open throttle as well as the problems richard mention it can also be the non return valve in the gravity feed fule line.Regards wayneps is this arnies old f1 as this was stood for years
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Siran wrote:,I'm near Lincoln,
I've sent a PM to you.R.
Siran

Post by Siran »

Hello WayneBike only been stood for about 2 years the guys name wasn't Arnie ,had it running for a few seconds buy putting a bit of fuel on plug holes ,so pretty sure it will run when I clean carbs,
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi SiranDont forget to check the setting of the micro switch if you strip the carbs there is a mesurement For it opartating from the throttle stop position, pm richard for the setting. i would also put a bit of the oil you are using down the inlets and turn over by putting in gear and use the rear wheel. also note a f1 can very easily fall off a rear paddock stand. The oil will coat the plates and seals, smoke like hell on start up then clear.While you have the tank off, check the vacume pipe elbows if they are still fitted, they may have been blanked off already. my elbows had perrished preventing an even tic over. blanked off ticks over no problem.I hope you enjoy the bike as they take a bit of getting used to, just dont expect fireblade peformance?Regards Wayne