Filling rotor chambers with oil laying up

GerryT

Filling rotor chambers with oil laying up

Post by GerryT »

Can anybody advise me the best way to oil the rotor chambersthe bike will be off the road untill next year and has not been used for a whilewhat l would like to know isWhat oil do l useHow much oil do put in the chamberThe best way to distribute it in the chamberAny other adviceStill on a learning curve with this bikeThank you Gerry l
Wayne

Re: Filling rotor chambers with oil laying up

Post by Wayne »

Hi i have a 18" long peice of 6mm nylon tube, i remove plugs, then oilcap on my oil tank, suck up about 5" of oil into tube, put my toung on end of tube in mouth, stick other end down plug hole and blow, one for each rotor face turn over by hand then repat the turning only and put the plugs in.However prior to the above on my last ride home i put the bike in high gear and exersise the throttle to get excess oil on the shaft, at home i pull the oil cable with the engine running till i get alot of smoke from the silencers.Rotela dd40 dosenot have the standing propertys of the silcoline classic premix for rotarys so i am told, i would never do what the museume are currently dooing with theire race bikes staring one up for a few muinits, you will end up with condensation on your vitals.thats the procedure i have been dooing fo the last 23 years.Regards Wayne
vontripper

Post by vontripper »

hi me i go in garage and just run engine once a month untill temp. is up to 90 on temp.gauge , charging batt. + putting oil on chambers von
[color=#FF0040]God Willing & The Creek Don`t Rise[/color]
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Gerry,This will be my second winter so am also new to the rotaries.Last winter I filled an oil feeder with Rotella pushed a length of small bore hose onto the spout removed both plugs and squirted a fair amount of oil into the engine, I then selected first gear and turned the engine via the rear wheel a few revolutions to spread the oil about inside, I repeated this process a few more times and occasionally during the winter, I also removed the air cleaners and squirted oil down into the engine to lubricate the rotor bearings, this I read on this very forum.Starting the bike for the first time come spring is an experiance in itself, lots of smoke and alarmed looks from the neighbours.This summer I covered thousands of miles almost always two up with no problem.I havent oiled the bike yet as I might just get another run before they salt the roads.Hope this helpsTony
gripper

Post by gripper »

If you are putting oil into the chambers via the spark plug hole, you need to turn the engine over backwards. The next stop for the oil when turning forwards is the exhaust pipe and the oil has only covered a third of the surface of the chamber.
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Never been an exact science for me,Leave the plugs out, put the bike in top gear, a couple of squirts from an oil can down each plug hole and turn the engine using the back wheel to spread the oil round.You can tell there's enough oil in there because it starts dripping out of the joint between the manifold and silencer.Graham