Veglia/Motometer Tacho

Ageing Rotarian

Veglia/Motometer Tacho

Post by Ageing Rotarian »

Hi, been having a few quirky things going on with a veglia tachometer I have tried to fit to replace the Motometer item which wouldn't read above 4000 revs (and sometimes 0-4000). I have picked up a feed from the alternator which is operating the Tacho, albeit with varying degrees of success, from reading Ok then it being effected by any form of electrical change (turning lights on etc) to not operating above 3000 rpm and then reading correctly when the lights etcc are operated. Has any tried to power the tacho in this way and if so what effect did you have? is there another way way of triggering the Tacho? (bike is a IP2/classic replica).I have only owned the bike for a couple of weeks and it seems to have the same quirky traights as most others (rough running when cold etc) but the bike has this anoying tendancy to surge (sometime quite badly) for the first 5-10 miles and then settles down. Has anyone any thoughts on the possible reason or any possible solutions which I can try?All the best Roy
gripper

Re: Veglia/Motometer Tacho

Post by gripper »

Have a look at my thread three pages back titled IP2 rev counter for some good gen on the IP2 tacho. the offending item could be the voltage regulator. some tacho's are powered from the alternator and others from the low tension side of the coil.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I ditched the "factory cold start setting" years ago,it was absolute crap evil,then by disconecting the idle rod, and then re-ajusting said rod and by trial and error this is how got the bike to run in a civalised manor while warming up. By running the old girl from cold (for about a minute at 1500 revs) till the temp; gauge reached about 60c,(then with a clothes peg under the choke knob wink) she would run fine till the temp gauge was past the 100c mark,remove peg and clip to a conveniant cable.I created this method of "cold running" 'cos air cooled rotaries(as you well know) are an absolute pig to ride when cold!! Hope this helps,ride safe,J.B.
Ageing Rotarian

Thanks for the response gents.With regards to the tacho these instruments certainly seem to have a case of the gremlins at times so will probably have to live with the varied performance.Thanks for the tips on the cold start/fast idle rod john. After your bike gets under way do you experience any surging or what seems to hesitation until the bike gets thouroughly warmed up? My bike seems to hold back on the overrun but will pull if you wind the throttles open. Looking at some of the other guys posts the syndrome does not seem that uncommon but just wondering if there is anything I can do to lesson the effect?All the best Roy
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

A very slight surge on idle(100?rpm)at about 75c,( this is a new thing, and has only manifested since the engine re-build, never before)but never when moving,I have no idea what causes it,but it dosn't bother me,it's very minor,just one more idiosyncracy of a rotory Very Happy,ride safe,J.B.
Ageing Rotarian

Ummm sounds a little different to your idle situation John, the bike holds back and seems to pick up/clear when you pull the choke out so mixture related? As I have only had the bike a couple of weeks or so I am still finding my way round it and dealing with various issues so will have to see what I find and what effects the surging, all good fun smiley All the best Roy