Gear Oil

johnbirchjar

Gear Oil

Post by johnbirchjar »

As sugested by DG,I have transfered this subject to Tech:I have been in contact with Demon Tweeks and they denigh all knowledg of Red Line 75/250!! I have also had a "bit of a surf" to try and buy it elsewhere with little or no sucsess evil,(exept in the USofA)any sugestions?J.B.
johnbirchjar

Re: Gear Oil

Post by johnbirchjar »

Panic over exclaim,managed to purchase said oil from JJC(also re-contacted D/Tweaks, they have the oil in stock smiley,but they wanted twenty six quid evil ?)JJC much cheaper,£21-00, I shall report anon,J.B.
commando-rotary

Post by commando-rotary »

demon tweeks list it at £18.60 but must admit I did buy other items at same time and did not check delivery note properly it was probably plus vat, but still cheaper than new gearset. dg
David Rodgers

Post by David Rodgers »

Hi JohnI have just done a 6000 mile service on my IP2/Classic and have put in Redline V Twin Transmission Oil with Shockproof which is marketed primarily for Harley-Davidson gearboxes. If you go onto Opie Oils web site and look under Motorcycles and gearbox oils then 75W-140 you can read all about it. They are selling it at £21.24 for a Quart (.946L) or just enough for a gearbox oil change. With Opie there is a delivery charge unless your order exceeds £100. They also sell the Silkolene Classic 2T for £49.99 for 5 Litres and Rotary spark plugs, light bulbs etc so it is fairly easy to put together an order for free delivery, especially if you have several vehicles. I am just about to set off on my last foreign trip of the year and will be riding through England, France, Pyrenees, Spain and back home from Santander. I will report back how the Gearbox feels/performs over a few thousand miles.RegardsDave Rodgers
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Don't forget that members can save £10 by buying the Silkolene 2T from the ROC!!!£39.95 for 5 litres ....... at least until I order the next batch, when my guess is that it will have gone up ...David
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,Did about twenty miles yesterday to try out the new gear oil,I am VERY impressed!!The gears sound about 50% quieter(especialy 3rd)changes seem easier (as do's getting neutral when stationary)I expect Dave Rogers will give us a full SP after umpteen thousand miles touring the continent cool.JJc Race and Rally(01978 667936)or http://www.jjcraceandrally.com. seem to offer the best deal for this product,£21-00 in total.(oil £17-50+Vat £3-50,p&p free)can't be bad Very Happy.I seem to have a little of the oil left in the bottle, so if their is enough I will put it in the shaft drive of the Honda to see if will quieten THAT down exclaim.ride safe,J.B.
David Rodgers

Post by David Rodgers »

Hi DavidSorry about that, not trying to scupper your sales. That is a good price you quote, i assume that is just the oil price, how much is p&p?Dave
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Now there's the rub ....Collection is from Chelmsford, Essex or Pickering, N Yorks.There are all sorts of nightmares to be had trying to post oil ...DC
blynch

Post by blynch »

There seems to be an offer on at JJCRACEANDRALLY its now showing on fleebay for £18.85 incl. cool P&Phttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Line-V-Twin-Moto ... ersBernard
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Go for it guy's exclaim,thats a real good offer Very Happy.Reporting on trying the oil in the Honda drive shaft ,made no noticable differance,(I expect this is 'cos the g/box oil is combined with the engine oil and totaly seperate from the shaft. )but it was worth a try wink,ride safe,J.B.
commando-rotary

Hi John glad your pleased with redline, but they do not recommend it is used in gearboxes that contain synchromesh rings or clutches as one of it's features are that it sticks to everything and leaves a film in place. dg
David Rodgers

Post by David Rodgers »

Hi LadsAt a friends house near Toulouse, about 750 miles so far. First impression of the gearbox oil is I can't tell any difference. Gear changing feels the same, gearbox noise is no different but this is newly rebuilt 3500 miles ago. I have tried selecting neutral when stationery and it works sometimes but not all. As for protecting the gearbox against wear only many miles will tell. Maybe a better result can be had on a slightly worn box. coolDave Rodgers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Dave,my g/box is slightly more than part worn (59,000 + and counting wink ,although I did have the two 3rd gears replaced during the engine re-build about 3,000 miles ago)so perhaps the oil do's seem to make more of a differance on worn boxes,and commenting on the other post,arn't our clutches "oil bathed" anyway?and do we have any "syncro" on any of the gears?J.B.
gripper

Post by gripper »

No synchro on any bike I've ever heard of. pretty difficult on a constant mesh gearbox.
commando-rotary

Hi Dave, I realise there is no synchro in dog boxes but john mentioned his Honda and I assume the clutch is served by the same oil as gearbox on that bike, and just thought it a good idea to bring to attention redline's comments as to it's limitations. dg
gripper

Post by gripper »

Good point, I could understand using it in the final drive but not the engine /gearbox. Honda shaft drives are pretty sweet, My Son has an old NTV650 and it's one of the nicest machines i've ridden, about the same performance as a 750 Commando with none of the vices smiley
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Sorry Gripper,I can't agree about Honda g/boxes & shaft drives,mine's a horrible nasty clunky thing evil(bit like a BMW by all accounts, wink)but having said thata buddy of mine has a Honda Night Hawk 550cc circa 1989 (also shaft drive)that is an absolute dream to ride and it has six gears, cool (well five and overdrive),perhaps it's just my bike!!J.B.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

The chap that bought my old IP2 says he has gearbox noise but of course so did I over the ten years I owned it, never getting worse never getting better as we all know. I have recommended he tries this oil to see if that makes things better for him so I await with interest.I told him not too worry and try the oil but sometimes there's no telling some I think and he may strip the lot to find nothing really to shout about...I just had the fourth gear noise from wear to the layshaft but it was never that bad really to me but I guess it may be to others, I knew it was never a disaster waiting to happen and I did point it out when he was buying it. cry
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
gripper

Post by gripper »

My IP2 gearbox is noisy in fourth gear. When I stripped the engine a few years ago there was a sticker on the back of the gearbox from a company that serviced the gearboxes. I couldn't read the name as it was illegible. There was no signs of any wear in my box but it still makes a noise. I have got some of this oil but haven't got round to changing over yet.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Cheers Gripper. Yes I told the chap he would find the same I hope he listens cry
graham butterworth

Post by graham butterworth »

the reason Demon Tweeks had no knowledge of 75/250 Oil is because Red line V twin Heavy Shock oil is not sold as a 75/250 but is the same as one the product number Red58204
commando-rotary

I think things are drifting a little here the oil is redline 75/245 on demon tweeks site you have to get to the transmission oils section then put the above description in. although it's called redline different grades are different colours from that manufacturer so that you can identify which oil was previously put in. it all works by leaving a sticky film on everything the more the gearbox is used the quieter it gets. dg
Pike

Post by Pike »

By lucky chance, I saw this thread on the same day that I noticed my IP2 has piddled gear on the floor over winter. Accepting that I should find and fix the point from where its leaking....Is the consensus that this V Twin oil is the sort of thing to go for then? I was just going to chuck EP90* in it but then I'm a LudditeCheersPike*or EP80. Whatever it says in the Workshop Manual
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

EP140. Obtainable from plant/tractor suppliers. Doe`s usually have it in stock.Derek.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Before being converted to "The Dark Side" I like Dell Boy used 140,I found it better than either 80 or 90,rgdsJ.B.
David Rodgers

Post by David Rodgers »

*or EP80. Whatever it says in the Workshop ManualIn the Owners manual it shows 80/140, 85/140 and 90/140 depending on supplier, Silkolene being the only one at 90/140 which they don't seem to do anymore, so 85/140 is the one to go for.Dave
graham butterworth

Post by graham butterworth »

Thought I would try Redline 75/245 in gear box of my IP2, found after doing 500miles there was no difference to the noise level and selecting neutral has become a little difficult. I will change back to my normal oil i.e sae 80/140 £6 a litre from Pennie Oil Sheffield
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I thought the oil talked about to start with was 75w140 Redline??245 sounds very wrong to me??