commando + all rotarys

vontripper

commando + all rotarys

Post by vontripper »

hi all, I came across this kit today ideal for commando + commander i.e all rotary's, I have order 1 for me commando and will let you know if it does what it says on the canthis is from there web page. www. improvingclassicmotorcycles.com The Charge only kit is an ideal replacement for the assimilator warning light system fitted to Norton Commando motorcycles. And a better system than fitted to Norton rotary engine bikes. Both feature a sense circuit to detect that the alternator is working but they don't tell you if power is getting through to the battery. Although very good systems in their time, modern electronics makes a better system possible von
[color=#FF0040]God Willing & The Creek Don`t Rise[/color]
johnbirchjar

Re: commando + all rotarys

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi von, On all replacement VCR's that I have fitted(three in total) there are only two wires,(yellow and black?) (the original had three,R,Y,B,)the red went to the Ign;light,why modern VCR'S have done away with the wire for the Ign; light I have no idea evil.When I asked the suplyer of the first replacement "How do I tell if the charging system isn't?" his reply was(and I quote)"The battery go's flat"!!!I got over this by fitting a volt metre running direct from the battery(This was on the Classic)Quite how you will wire up your new "Charging Indicator" will be interesting wink,have fun,ride safe,J.B.
vontripper

Post by vontripper »

hi JB, at the moment only brought one for me commando [deluxe model it comes with red-light fitted at end of wire] no soldering ? three wires 1. red bulb and just push into old holder 2. earth red 3. go to ign. black switch no2 spade at the mow it all work ok when I get round to getting one for me commander , I will be phoning this chap up and finding out how to fix said item I think it will be same as commando, but drill 1 hole to take warning light holder, it will be deluxe model again, when I do I will let you know outcome von
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Just fit a £6.00 digital voltmeter to the battery. This will give you accurate readings of chargeing/battery condition every second. I have a habit of watching it more than the speedo!!!Derek F.
Pike

Post by Pike »

As Derek says, a voltage monitor is a useful thing to have lying around the garage. I bought one for a tired old Kwak 400 I was taking to Morocco which had one phase down on the alternator. With careful management, the electrics soldiered on nicely. This one (£6) plugs into a cigar lighter sockethttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-24V-LED-Display-C ... 182101This one is even cheaper (£4) but needs wiringhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Digital-Voltage- ... 0085917You can even get LED traffic light ones which take the interpretation out of the readings.BTW - I always fit a cigar lighter socket to my bikes and use it to; charge the battery, monitor the battery and power ancilliary devicesSparky the battery boy (showing my age there)
vontripper

Post by vontripper »

pike do you remember ...... twizzle & four feather falls also muffin the mule good old muffin good old days von