New speedo cable for IP2?

Pike

New speedo cable for IP2?

Post by Pike »

Anyone have any info on getting a new speedo cable for an IP2? I can't see any on Startright's site (unless I'm going daft which is perfectly possible). I realise that people like SpeedyCables will make anything up for me but I need to specify what I want. Length is easy but connections at either end are a bit more tricky...I could send the old one off to them but that extends the turnaround and I'm anxious to get an MOT(Mind you, would they notice at the MOT station? - Only if they rode it, I suppose)
johnbirchjar

Re: New speedo cable for IP2?

Post by johnbirchjar »

As you say"Would they notice?" wink, I think not,in all the bike MOTs over the years I've never had a speedo checked,go on,chance it cool,J.B.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

The 'give away' is always that the trip is showing 000.0 ....That and the fact that the previous MoT shows the same mileage ...DC
jwonnacott

Post by jwonnacott »

AFAIK the speedometer is not part of the test.
Pike

Post by Pike »

Well the cable went part way through the year so the mileage won't be the same as the last MOT. However, a speedo is still pretty useful so does anyone have any info on the cable?TaPike
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Type of cable depends on which speedo you have..if you still have the large 'police' speedo (which sits higher than the tacho) then I don't know of an alternate to the proper one..if you have a Veglia/Norton ("Made in France" on the face) then a Yamaha cable can be adapted to fit. Those off the Commander (= Yamaha XJ900F / 2GH.83550.00) are about the right length and thread..if you have a Motometer/Norton ("Made in Germany" on the face) then that has a different thread size and the cable is NLA.I think ANIL have NOS Veglia speedos (ouch!) and Yamaha cables in stock.If it's only the inner wire that's broken, surely you can replace it with one from another?
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Pike

Post by Pike »

"If it's only the inner wire that's broken, surely you can replace it with one from another?"Yes, very good point Richard. Why didn't I think of that? I was fixating on the fittings and ignoring the obvious. Ah well, I can't be clever AND good lookingThanksPike
JohnOR

Post by JohnOR »

The length of inner protruding each end should be stated somewherefor each speedo and drive (or can be measured by other owners) therefore a replacement inner can be made to order by J.J. Cables or your prefered supplierJohn
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Hello! I'm back from a dark place no-one should ever have to visit...I may have missed a post or two but I don't think we know yet which cable you need, the bottom ends are all the same but the top end varies from a massive ally (M16?) thread down to the 'normal' thread of the smiths police speedo.With the veglia and motometer somewhere in between.I'm ready to take on the challenge again now :-) Tell me which one and I'll make it up from stock for £20.Graham
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Graham,glad to have you back Very Happy,rgds,J.B.
Pike

Post by Pike »

Hi GrahamC'est un Veglia speedo Francaise (That's your actual french!) If you could make one up, that'd be fantastic. I'll drop you an email at Startright. Thanks very muchChris
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,someone sent me an Email yesterday Re:IP2 speedo's??,why me?(I couldn't excess it anyway,incapatabilaty twix computers)rgds,J.B.
graham

Post by graham »

Hi JB,If you're involved in a thread, the bulletin board automatically keeps you updated when there's a new post.You can opt out if you want to, (untick 'notify me when a reply is posted') I leave it ticked, I quite like to see what's new :-)Graham
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

That would explain it smiley,Thanks Graham,J.B.
andy588tt

Post by andy588tt »

Hi PikeIf you are still looking for a NOS speedo cable complete for the Interpol 2 I might be able to help pm me and we can take it further.Ride SafeAndy cool
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!
Pike

Post by Pike »

Hi AndyGraham made one up for me thanks so I'm all sorted. Now I've just got to get the bike out of the shed which means taking it through the kitchen and lounge! Ah, the joys of old housesThanks all the sameChris (Pike)