Sachs KM48 Balance Weight

itsme

Sachs KM48 Balance Weight

Post by itsme »

Hi,I've got a Norton-made Sachs KM48 engine core that I'm in the process of getting running. I have got a flywheel, which doubles up as a balance weight, but I'm missing the co0ling fan and fan-side balance weight.Does anyone have the specifications/dimensions of this balance weight so that I can make one? I'm trying to avoid having to open up a brand new engine to measure and weigh all the parts. Or, even better, does anyone have any of these old parts lying around?Regards,Warren
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: Sachs KM48 Balance Weight

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Have you got as part number Warren?If it's the same as the KC27 unit fitted to W2000s, the ROC might be able to help you thereDavid
itsme

Post by itsme »

Hi David,Thanks for the reply.I don't have a part number, but will try to find one. The KM48 is a 160cc engine, so I suspect the balance weights will be different to the KC27, but it's worth a try.Warren
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Warren,Memory is always suspect, but my poor photocopy of the KM37/48 Workshop Manual doesn't mention a separate balance weight at the generator/fan end of the engine.I think the drive-side flywheel is deliberately out of balance, and the fan assembly instructions are quite specific regarding its timing to the magneto rotor, suggesting that the fan is also out of balance. Is your fan out of balance?R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

There's some KM48 stuff on fleabay now - including a flywheel and some engine castings.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
itsme

Post by itsme »

Hi Richard,I think you are right; the balance weight is integrated into the co0ling fan. The issue that I have is that I don't have a co0ling fan! I think I'll have to get creative and do some weighing/measuring/making to get the correct balance.Warren