Frame restoration.

jwonnacott

Frame restoration.

Post by jwonnacott »

The IP2 is completely stripped now and I'm looking at the frame.Generally the condition isn't too bad but the bit that goes over the back wheel and the underside of the oil tank is rusty. I've stripped the rusty sections back to bare metal and temporarily put red oxide on to stop it rusting again but I'm wondering whether to get the whole thing stripped and redone.What have others done?James
Joe

Re: Frame restoration.

Post by Joe »

Hello James, I bought a new unpainted Commander frame a few years ago which is similar to a IP2 frame that I had powder coated. The powder coating company shot blasted it which gave me a lot of work cleaning all of the sand / grit out of the oil tank. If I ever do this again I will have the frame soda blasted. Any soda left over will not harm the bike in any way and can just be flushed out of the oil tank unlike grit, oil can be used to do this rather than water so wont cause any more rust inside the tank. Also, if you do go down the powder coating route screw in some old bolts or threaded rod to protect the threads from paint. Please keep us all informed on your progress. Regards, Joe.
jwonnacott

Post by jwonnacott »

Many thanks Joe, I'd never heard of soda blasting, I'll look into that one.I'll try to remember to take photos as I go so I can show how it progresses.It'll be a long job as I don't have a lot of spare time (or money!)James.
jwonnacott

Post by jwonnacott »

Been thinking- surely I can just seal the holes in the oil tank. It's not going to be rusty in there.
jwonnacott

Post by jwonnacott »

A couple of pictures:-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gripper

Post by gripper »

I would be suprised if soda blasting will be up to the job of removing the paint or rust but give it a try. My Commander was rotten as a pear along the sides of the seat cantelever. Welding new side cheeks fixed that. The water/mud trap at the top damper mounts needs particular attention as does the front of the rear mudguard which also happens to be the back of the oil tank. The rubber mudflap at the front of the mudguard acts as a dirt trap and can keep things damp down there for ever. You need to avoid grit blasting if there is any chance of it getting in the frame. I've heard 2 horror stories of "oil in frame" Triumphs post frame blasting and powder coating and that is effectively what we have with the Rotary frame.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello James, Soda blasting will definitely remove the paint on the frame it's a very impressive process. I used a company called soda blaster (http://www.sodablaster.co.uk) in Kent which is a bit too far for you but as Gripper says avoid sand/grit/ bead blasting, cleaning out the oil tank isn't an easy job. Regards, Joe.