Commander Tired Back End

dave perry

Commander Tired Back End

Post by dave perry »

Tired rear shocks on the TRL Commander\r\rHas anyone had their rear shocks overhauled, or maybe you have fitted a pair of modern replacement units ?\r\rI am now running with Continentals and commented to my tyre man Adi that they did not seem as stable as the Battax 45s which I normally use. I told him that the Old Girl seems to start wallowing at slightly slower speeds than with the B45s. I do like to push on a bit when we are sweeping around some of the fast slip roads and bends.\r\rHis comment was that the Continentals are probably providing more grip, and this puts more stress on the already worn/under damped rear shocks. If the tyres don’t give a little, then the shocks will get to their limit that bit sooner.\r\rSo fellow Wanklers, overhaul existing units, or invest in a modern set ? – any advice guys, or even a quote from our Business Type Pals ?\r\rI switched to the Continentals after the last couple of Battaxs developed a rather lop-sided wear pattern on the front. The new ones feel fine, and seem to be giving reasonable wear thus far, 3000 miles since April - cheers dp
Richard Negus

Rear shocks

Post by Richard Negus »

Dave,\rDo you know of someone to overhaul them then ? Without the special tough peg spanner, getting the damper body cap off can be a bit of a bu**er.\rHagons work for me (£110 / pair I think) or if you're really flush, a pair of Australian-made Ikons (geddit ? Koni replicas) at around £600 + six weeks delivery. The Hagons that fit don't have adjustable damping, but then I can't tell the difference anyway and as a bonus, the spring adjusters don't seize in the salt weather. \rOf course, it could be your swing arm bearings need adjusting or even replacing.\r\rG O M
dave perry

Post by dave perry »

I did not know if anyone overhauled the units, but at a little over a ton for a new pair it seems hardly worth it anyway ! I will check the swinging arm bearings first though, thanks for the advice, cheers dp
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Dave,\rAnother thought - check for play in the rear wheel bearings.\rHeard of an MOT failure which turned out to be lack of grease in the 'hidden' double-row bearing which seized, turned in the wheel until the wheel cracked (and had to be replaced). The owner didn't notice the fault because the splined cush drive part was partly supporting the wheel. Expensive repair !\r\rG O M
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Dave hi! Hagons are quite close to me and it would not be a problem to drop off or collect stuff. As an aside, the ROC once did a bulk purchase of W2000 shocks from them; would there be any interest in a similar job lot for Commanders? DC