Ignition Trigger Switches

johnbirchjar

Ignition Trigger Switches

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Guys, Good news from Boyer Electronics,they have recently? made a new batch of Ignition Trigger Switches for our rotaries,BUT,MAKE SURE you specificly want a NORTON ROTARY I/Switch,'cos they may send you a Racing trigger switch,(as they did me some four years ago,)the differance being the "Pickup Nose"? on the Racing Trigger Switch is about half the length of the Norton one,unfortunately I was off to a rally the next day and didn't have time to send for a replacment, so I had to "modify" the RTSwitch,fortunatly not to difficult,and it lasted for about 17,000 miles befor going on the blink. A chat with "Kevin" at Boyers had me posting said switch+reciept off to them,a few days later and Kev was on the phone saying the problem was a broken wire and he would send me a replacment "gratise" he then said the replacement was one of a "New batch,recently manufactured" Now that is what I call Good P/R Very Happy.ride safe,J.B. PS I am mending nicely and hope to be riding the Classic about the end of April. cool
vontripper

Re: Ignition Trigger Switches

Post by vontripper »

hi john that's good news twice I get on the case Monday to get me new trigger and you get well soonhttp://www.rotaryownersclub.co.uk/thrapp/posti ... f=3&t=1243# RG von
[color=#FF0040]God Willing & The Creek Don`t Rise[/color]
Pike

Post by Pike »

Does that pick up suit the Sparkrite system on the IP2? Or is it for an aftermarket Boyer system?CheersChris (Pike)
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

As far as I am aware the T/switch works fine with both the original IP2/Classic Boyer electrics or Grahams modified one (I have/am using both)J.B.
Pike

Post by Pike »

JohnThanks for the update. My SparkRite unit is with MiniMagnetos but I've sent them the trigger unit too in case that's causing the problems. I shall see what they say. The leads have already been shortened on my trigger so its due for replacement if there's any sort of question mark over its performanceThanks againChris (Pike)
vontripper

Post by vontripper »

hi john, or anyone, are trigger units the same for water cooled /air cooled rotary, part number for water cooled is 50-0785 RG von
Pike

Post by Pike »

Well, I would have posted a picture of an aircooled trigger unit but.....the post office seem to have lost the parcel containing my trigger and Sparkrite box en route to MiniMagnetoOh frabjous day!
vontripper

Post by vontripper »

hi I have them days as well, I go to local watering hole and every thing turns out ok .... or is it the drink ? RG von
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Part No for the Classic is 50-0760,(I expect it's the same for IP2's) Boyers don't give a part No on there invoice,they just call it a Norton Rotary Ignition Switch,how they differentiate between air cooled and water cooled I have no idea smiley,(If there is a differance)Richard? rgds,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Going back to the heading "Float chamber O rings",the problem turned out to be the Ignition Trigger Switch,again evil,looking back through my records I seem to have replaced this item about every 17,000 miles exclaim, has anybody else had this problem? Hopefully the "New Improved?" ITS from Boyer will last a good bit longer,ride safe,J.B.
Pike

Post by Pike »

Thanks for the info because it sounds like I might have to buy a new trigger from Boyers (I love their sausages) and the ignition unit from StartrightOf course, it might still be in Pat's van beneath Jess the cat but I'm not pinning my hopes on it
Pike

Post by Pike »

Part No for air-cooled trigger unit is 50-0446Oh and Postman Pat had delivered my ignition unit to the neighbours, which is a result. Should get it all back next week sometime. Yay!
andy588tt

Post by andy588tt »

Hi PikeIve got a couple of new air cooled pick ups in the stores just ask and someone might have what you want .Ride safeAndy
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!
Pike

Post by Pike »

Well 3 months later and I finally fired up the IP2 at the weekend. Pretty well started on the button. The ignition unit was indeed the problem and not the trigger unit. According to Julian at Minimag, it was a tuppeny resistor on the power supply for the ignition unit. Fantastic service from Minimag, by the way - I would highly recommend them. It was just a pity the postman delivered the unit to his neighbour without informing him which caused panic at the start. After that, a very rapid turnaround. Now I can haul the bike through the house (no side passageway) and take it for an MOT - Yay, as I believe young people say[Oh and the reason it took me 3 months to fit an ignition unit is that I bought a Dnepr MT11 combination on March 3rd which has proved to be a nightmare of unreliability and has taken up time and space]Pike