Mystery Object Any Ideas

Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Mystery Object Any Ideas

Post by Anthony Duffield »

When cleaning my Commander the other day and giving it a good blow with air around the engine I noticed the object in the two photos laying on the bench.I thought at first it was the blank for the vacuum connection on the left side but it is too smallThe bung is metal and the black pipe a plastic type materialAll suggestions gratefully received.This is the first time I have posted a photo so fingers crossed!!!!TonyMystery Object 1.JPGMystery Object 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Negus

Re: Mystery Object Any Ideas

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Tony,It's the upper part of the blanking cap on the vacuum tapping point on the left rotor housing, just above the throttle butterfly.The complete thing is a moulded straight rubber pipe, about 25 mm long, with that rivet poked in the upper end. Yours has become age-hardened and the upper part has cracked apart.Lack of it will upset the idle, so take off the remaining part and fit something else to blank off the tapping point.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Richard,I thought as much but it seems a bit small, I tried to get something down the pipe fitted to the tapping point but it is blocked.I agree with your thoughts though and will check that the tapping point is blocked off for correct running once the good weather arrives.Many thanksTony
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Tony,Found an old photo of the area to be sure we're talking about the same thing.Originally the Commander had a 90 degree elbow fitted there, with the aluminium rivet to blank it off. As far as I know, those are not now available so the straight one is used.
4002-42.jpg
These plastic fittings used to be part of the vacuum advance/retard pipe of a car engine with an ignition distributor and contact points.R.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Richard,Yes that is the area.Last night I had another look, I think the previous owner has made a plug after the aluminum rivet had come away and became lost in amongst the engine, since I have now found it I intend to remove the short piece of black pipe fitted to the connection and see if it is blocked or clear, once I know what I am dealing with I can make up something that will seal the vacuum connection and still allowing easy access should I have need to balance the carbs.Many thanks for your help.Kind RegardsTony