f1 starter motor

steve traynor

f1 starter motor

Post by steve traynor »

is the starter motor the same on all rotaries
Richard Negus

Re: f1 starter motor

Post by Richard Negus »

Steve,Interpol 2, Classic and Commander all have the same Lucas M3 motor.F1 has the same basic motor, but opposite rotation and a different mounting plate with 3 fixing screws rather than 2.If you have one type, but need the other, change the mount plate, and swap positions of the brushes in their holders.The body and field winding, brushes, brush plate and polished end cover are the same as Triumph T160.The armature and mounting plates are peculiar to Norton rotaries and not used anywhere else.There are some Lucas M3 motors from 1975'ish that were intended for the first version of the e/s Commando. These have an armature with an eccentric on the end and an odd mounting plate, but otherwise can be used to make rotary starters. They are the same rotation as F1.I believe all rotary starters say "Made in India" with a manufacturing date of 1975 and may in fact be the ill-fated Commando batch re-worked by Lucas.Information overload?
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
steve traynor

Post by steve traynor »

Overlosd no ,many thanks for your quick and in deptth response you are indeed a minefield of knowledge .Thanks steve, kev
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

RN-There's never too much info on these things."Back in the day...", the sprags in the clutch hub on the RE-5 wore out.Upon starting it one day, the sprags locked and spun the armature of the starter to redline.Took the parts to a starter shop and he was able to identify the starter body and internals.It was the end piece that went into the side above the clutch that was the "Key Part".I could've probably had a Toyota transplant starter but I then contracted a severe case of poverty, from which I have never recovered.Anyway, Those Tales are important and I for one appreciate them.CW